On Thu, 2008-10-23 at 11:41 -0700, Dean Erling wrote:
> C:\Downloads\rsync\rsync.exe -i
> --password-file=C:\Backend\rsync\password.txt -av
> ssclient@vendor.site.net::scores/filename /Backend/VendorFiles/
>
> When the download completes the downloaded file is read only and permissions
> are set so that the service account that needs that file has deny read
> access.

> I'm stumped! Anyone have any ideas as to why the file permissions would be
> changing? Any ideas on how to make it not change permissions?

You are passing -a, which includes -p, which tells rsync to preserve
permissions. You can override this by passing --no-p to the right of -a
on the command line. You may additionally need --chmod=ugo=rwX to allow
permissions to increase from source to destination.

IMO, too many of the rsync examples in the man page and on the Internet
promote -a as a one-size-fits-all option. I use the "adopt destination
permissions and ownership but preserve everything else" combination,
-rltE --chmod=ugo=rwX, much more often; I think it should be similarly
promoted.

Matt