using rsync to get filestats - Tools

This is a discussion on using rsync to get filestats - Tools ; Would it be more efficient to use rsync to get filestats instead of using the 'find' command? I would like to know how big a directory is on a filesystem, but this directory has millions of small files. I was ...

  1. using rsync to get filestats

    Would it be more efficient to use rsync to get filestats instead of
    using the 'find' command? I would like to know how big a directory is
    on a filesystem, but this directory has millions of small files. I was
    wondering if rsync would be more efficient than find when using "-n"
    options.

    TIA

  2. Re: using rsync to get filestats

    On Mon, 2008-10-13 at 22:50 -0400, Mag Gam wrote:
    > Would it be more efficient to use rsync to get filestats instead of
    > using the 'find' command? I would like to know how big a directory is
    > on a filesystem, but this directory has millions of small files. I was
    > wondering if rsync would be more efficient than find when using "-n"
    > options.

    I assume that by "filestats" you mean stat(2) information for each file,
    not aggregate statistics. My guess is that "find" would be faster than
    "rsync -n" because it doesn't send the stat information to other
    processes like rsync does. In addition, "find -printf" has a
    configurable output format, while the "rsync --list-only" output format
    is fixed.

    Matt

  3. Re: using rsync to get filestats

    Great. Thanks matt. I was using the find method, but I want to find a
    better way to get my directory sizes. I suppose a find -printf may
    work.

    If anyone else has suggestions please let me know.

    TIA

    On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 11:57 PM, Matt McCutchen wrote:
    > On Mon, 2008-10-13 at 22:50 -0400, Mag Gam wrote:
    >> Would it be more efficient to use rsync to get filestats instead of
    >> using the 'find' command? I would like to know how big a directory is
    >> on a filesystem, but this directory has millions of small files. I was
    >> wondering if rsync would be more efficient than find when using "-n"
    >> options.

    > I assume that by "filestats" you mean stat(2) information for each file,
    > not aggregate statistics. My guess is that "find" would be faster than
    > "rsync -n" because it doesn't send the stat information to other
    > processes like rsync does. In addition, "find -printf" has a
    > configurable output format, while the "rsync --list-only" output format
    > is fixed.
    >
    > Matt

  4. Re: using rsync to get filestats

    On Tue, 2008-10-14 at 00:28 -0400, Mag Gam wrote:
    > Great. Thanks matt. I was using the find method, but I want to find a
    > better way to get my directory sizes. I suppose a find -printf may
    > work.

    "find -printf" will give you the sizes of the directories (as lists of
    entries) themselves. If you want subtree sizes, use "du".

    Matt

  5. Re: using rsync to get filestats

    Thanks.

    Does rsync use stat()? does find use stat() when running with printf?
    I think the stat() is the most expensive part.

    On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 12:30 AM, Matt McCutchen wrote:
    > On Tue, 2008-10-14 at 00:28 -0400, Mag Gam wrote:
    >> Great. Thanks matt. I was using the find method, but I want to find a
    >> better way to get my directory sizes. I suppose a find -printf may
    >> work.

    > "find -printf" will give you the sizes of the directories (as lists of
    > entries) themselves. If you want subtree sizes, use "du".
    >
    > Matt

  6. Re: using rsync to get filestats

    On Tue, 2008-10-14 at 07:31 -0400, Mag Gam wrote:
    > Does rsync use stat()? does find use stat() when running with printf?
    > I think the stat() is the most expensive part.

    Rsync and "find -printf" both use stat(2).

    Matt

  7. Re: using rsync to get filestats

    Thanks Matt. I suppose I could use rsync to know how big a directory
    is then...right?

    rsync --progress -avzL -n /source /foo

    That should give me the total number of bytes to transfer

    On Wed, Oct 15, 2008 at 3:03 PM, Matt McCutchen wrote:
    > On Tue, 2008-10-14 at 07:31 -0400, Mag Gam wrote:
    >> Does rsync use stat()? does find use stat() when running with printf?
    >> I think the stat() is the most expensive part.

    > Rsync and "find -printf" both use stat(2).
    >
    > Matt

  8. Re: using rsync to get filestats

    On Sat, 2008-10-18 at 20:55 -0400, Mag Gam wrote:
    > Thanks Matt. I suppose I could use rsync to know how big a directory
    > is then...right?
    >
    > rsync --progress -avzL -n /source /foo
    >
    > That should give me the total number of bytes to transfer

    That will work, but --progress seems to be pointless on a dry run, and
    you might like to pass --stats to get some additional information.

    Matt