push, pull confusion. - Tools

This is a discussion on push, pull confusion. - Tools ; I've been using rsync to back-up user files on samba shares. The idea was to capture the file changes from day to day work, back all changes and new files to a server with limited access. If someone wanted to ...

  1. push, pull confusion.

    I've been using rsync to back-up user files on samba shares. The idea was
    to capture the file changes from day to day work, back all changes and new
    files to a server with limited access. If someone wanted to delete the
    files, there would be a back-up of their work.

    While checking logs the other day, I noticed that on the files on
    the "backup server" where only a partial list of what users had in the
    samba shares. Running the rsync transfer by hand after making backups, I
    thought maybe I had a push-pull problem. Changing the command did transfer
    the newer files to the backup server. But I found that while cleaning out
    the group share that rsync is pushing old backup files into the samba
    shares from the backup.

    I would like to keep the old files on the backup server, but not transfer
    them back to the samba server. ie If a user deletes file "a.doc" from the
    samba share, it remains in the backup server but rsync doesn't put it back
    on the samba share.

    The backup server is running the rsync daemon.
    The command I have been using from the samba share computer.
    rsync -pavzW --stats user@192.168.1.2::back_up_daemon /samba_shares

    Thanks

    --
    Mark Busby

  2. Re: push, pull confusion.

    On Mon, 2008-10-13 at 11:47 -0500, Mark Busby wrote:
    > I've been using rsync to back-up user files on samba shares. The idea was
    > to capture the file changes from day to day work, back all changes and new
    > files to a server with limited access. If someone wanted to delete the
    > files, there would be a back-up of their work.
    >
    > While checking logs the other day, I noticed that on the files on
    > the "backup server" where only a partial list of what users had in the
    > samba shares. Running the rsync transfer by hand after making backups, I
    > thought maybe I had a push-pull problem. Changing the command did transfer
    > the newer files to the backup server. But I found that while cleaning out
    > the group share that rsync is pushing old backup files into the samba
    > shares from the backup.
    >
    > I would like to keep the old files on the backup server, but not transfer
    > them back to the samba server. ie If a user deletes file "a.doc" from the
    > samba share, it remains in the backup server but rsync doesn't put it back
    > on the samba share.

    It sounds like you want a one-way copy from the samba share to the
    backup server without the --delete option. Another option worth
    considering is to use a --backup-dir to move deleted files (and
    overwritten ones too) to a separate place on the backup server.

    > The backup server is running the rsync daemon.
    > The command I have been using from the samba share computer.
    > rsync -pavzW --stats user@192.168.1.2::back_up_daemon /samba_shares

    That command will copy from the backup server to the samba shares, which
    I think is the reverse of what you want. Try this instead:

    rsync -pavzW --stats /samba_shares user@192.168.1.2::back_up_daemon

    Matt