how to use --checksum-seed ? - Tools

This is a discussion on how to use --checksum-seed ? - Tools ; Hi, I've been trying to use "--checksum-seed" to speed up backups . I have a homebrew script which creates incremental backups using hardlinks. To save disk space I turn on --checksum so that when file's mod-times change rsync doesn't create ...

  1. how to use --checksum-seed ?

    Hi,
    I've been trying to use "--checksum-seed" to speed up backups . I have a
    homebrew script which creates incremental backups using hardlinks. To save
    disk space I turn on --checksum so that when file's mod-times change rsync
    doesn't create a new file (breaking the hardlinking) unless the contents of
    the file are different as well.
    I tested the command:

    #rsync -aHiy -r --delete --ignore-errors --checksum --checksum-seed=1 fromdir
    todir

    but I couldn't find where the checksums were being cached.

    How does one use --checksum-seed ?

    Thanks!
    C.

  2. Re: how to use --checksum-seed ?

    On Mon, 2008-10-13 at 11:02 -0400, CSights wrote:
    > I've been trying to use "--checksum-seed" to speed up backups . I have a
    > homebrew script which creates incremental backups using hardlinks. To save
    > disk space I turn on --checksum so that when file's mod-times change rsync
    > doesn't create a new file (breaking the hardlinking) unless the contents of
    > the file are different as well.
    > I tested the command:
    >
    > #rsync -aHiy -r --delete --ignore-errors --checksum --checksum-seed=1 fromdir
    > todir
    >
    > but I couldn't find where the checksums were being cached.

    --checksum-seed sets the seed used in the computation of checksums; it
    does not cache checksums. For that, look into the checksum-reading.diff
    or checksum-xattr.diff patches that come with rsync.

    Matt

  3. Re: how to use --checksum-seed ?

    Thanks Matt,
    You are most helpful.