Rsync protocol specification - Tools

This is a discussion on Rsync protocol specification - Tools ; Hello everyone, I am interested in updating the Perl package File::RsyncP so that it is compatible with version 30 of the rsync protocol. I don't have much experience with the rsync codebase, and it seems that the only implementations of ...

  1. Rsync protocol specification

    Hello everyone,

    I am interested in updating the Perl package File::RsyncP so that it
    is compatible with version 30 of the rsync protocol. I don't have
    much experience with the rsync codebase, and it seems that the only
    implementations of rsync are either defunct, wrappers around rsync
    itself, or File::RsyncP.

    Does there exist a formal specification of the protocols, or is the
    only way to learn the protocol to reverse engineer it from the source
    tree? Obviously, learning the protocol would be much simpler in the
    former way than the latter, but I'd appreciate any guides I can find.

    Thanks,

    --
    Paul Mantz
    http://www.mcpantz.org

  2. Re: Rsync protocol specification

    On Sun, 2008-10-12 at 17:10 -0500, Paul Mantz wrote:
    > Does there exist a formal specification of the protocols, or is the
    > only way to learn the protocol to reverse engineer it from the source
    > tree?

    As far as I know, there is no specification other than the source tree.

    Matt