how to start rsync daemon on fedora - Tools

This is a discussion on how to start rsync daemon on fedora - Tools ; Maybe the daemon is running but I don't think so: mkb@veri:/var/log$ ps -elf|grep rsync 0 S mkb 24869 21866 0 80 0 - 17433 pipe_w 15:26 pts/4 00:00:00 grep rsync and this is when I've tried both of a) /usr/bin/rsync ...

  1. how to start rsync daemon on fedora

    Maybe the daemon is running but I don't think so:

    mkb@veri:/var/log$ ps -elf|grep rsync
    0 S mkb 24869 21866 0 80 0 - 17433 pipe_w 15:26 pts/4
    00:00:00 grep rsync

    and this is when I've tried both of
    a) /usr/bin/rsync --daemon -v
    b) sudo /sbin/chkconfig rsync on

    I also see, when trying to see which rsync modules are loading, the
    follow error message (when invoked from another machine):

    # rsync veri.phy.umist.ac.uk::
    rsync: failed to connect to veri.phy.umist.ac.uk: Connection refused
    (111)
    rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at clientserver.c(104)
    [receiver=2.6.9]

    Please could somebody let me knw what I'm going wrong? Ta, MIchael

  2. Re: how to start rsync daemon on fedora

    On Thu, 2008-10-09 at 15:29 +0100, michael wrote:
    > Maybe the daemon is running but I don't think so:
    >
    > mkb@veri:/var/log$ ps -elf|grep rsync
    > 0 S mkb 24869 21866 0 80 0 - 17433 pipe_w 15:26 pts/4
    > 00:00:00 grep rsync
    >
    > and this is when I've tried both of
    > a) /usr/bin/rsync --daemon -v
    > b) sudo /sbin/chkconfig rsync on

    Fedora does not provide an initscript for rsync, so you should be using
    command (a). You need to write an /etc/rsyncd.conf file if you haven't
    already; see the rsyncd.conf(5) man page for details. If the daemon
    still won't start, check the log file you defined in /etc/rsyncd.conf or
    the syslog in /var/log/messages to find out why.

    Matt

  3. Re: how to start rsync daemon on fedora

    On Thu, Oct 09, 2008 at 03:29:04PM +0100, michael wrote:
    > and this is when I've tried both of
    > a) /usr/bin/rsync --daemon -v
    > b) sudo /sbin/chkconfig rsync on

    Fedora supplies an /etc/xinetd.d/rsync file that defaults to off. Using
    your b command should turn it on and sighup xinetd. If you go the
    xinetd route, that means that there won't be a dedicated rsync daemon
    running. You could elect to leave the xinetd config file disabled and
    run a daemon, if you like.

    However, Fedora doesn't supply an /etc/rsyncd.conf file, which you must
    create for rsync to work. With that set you should be able to run a
    "telnet localhost 873". If not, check the xinetd config files (if
    used). You can also try a "rsync --daemon --no-detach" to see if it
    outputs any errors about your config file (it can output some errors
    that way that can't make it into a log file, such as permission errors
    trying to create the log file). Hit Ctrl-C to kill it if it didn't die
    due to an error (an inability to bind error would be expected if you
    left xinetd enabled).

    ...wayne..

  4. Re: how to start rsync daemon on fedora

    Wayne wrote:
    > Fedora supplies an /etc/xinetd.d/rsync file that defaults to off. Using
    > your b command should turn it on and sighup xinetd. If you go the
    > xinetd route, that means that there won't be a dedicated rsync daemon
    > running. You could elect to leave the xinetd config file disabled and
    > run a daemon, if you like.

    You may also need to muck about with your SELinux settings if you go this
    route. This was the case on RedHat Enterprise 5 and its derivatives-- I
    needed to disable (or effectively disable) SELinux in order for xinetd to
    successfully invoke rsync as a daemon.

    --Kyle

  5. Re: how to start rsync daemon on fedora

    On Thu, 2008-10-09 at 17:08 -0700, Wayne Davison wrote:
    > On Thu, Oct 09, 2008 at 03:29:04PM +0100, michael wrote:
    > > and this is when I've tried both of
    > > a) /usr/bin/rsync --daemon -v
    > > b) sudo /sbin/chkconfig rsync on

    > Fedora supplies an /etc/xinetd.d/rsync file that defaults to off. Using
    > your b command should turn it on and sighup xinetd. If you go the
    > xinetd route, that means that there won't be a dedicated rsync daemon
    > running. You could elect to leave the xinetd config file disabled and
    > run a daemon, if you like.
    >
    > However, Fedora doesn't supply an /etc/rsyncd.conf file, which you must
    > create for rsync to work. With that set you should be able to run a
    > "telnet localhost 873". If not, check the xinetd config files (if
    > used). You can also try a "rsync --daemon --no-detach" to see if it
    > outputs any errors about your config file (it can output some errors
    > that way that can't make it into a log file, such as permission errors
    > trying to create the log file). Hit Ctrl-C to kill it if it didn't die
    > due to an error (an inability to bind error would be expected if you
    > left xinetd enabled).

    okay, I think I've done it - I created
    mkb@veri:~$ cat /etc/rsyncd.conf
    # rsyncd.conf file
    # Time-stamp: <13:11BST on Fri 10 Oct 2008 by mkb on
    veri.phy.umist.ac.uk>

    [backup]
    path = /data1/BACKUPS/ratty/
    max connections = 1
    comment = rsyncd backup

    and it seems I have to be sudo to start the daemon:

    mkb@veri:~$ sudo /usr/bin/rsync --daemon -v --no-detach

    and then I can see said module from another machine:
    michael@ratty:~/bin$ rsync veri.phy.umist.ac.uk::
    backup rsyncd backup

    So I believe that's the daemon running.

    I'll look at the xinetd stuff later but for now, back to the "rsync
    backup permissions" thread since I've not yet got the correct magic
    incantantions to use the daemon as superuser to get the ownership of
    files to be same as where I've copying from...

    ta, Michael

  6. Re: how to start rsync daemon on fedora

    On Fri, 2008-10-10 at 13:42 +0100, michael wrote:
    > On Thu, 2008-10-09 at 17:08 -0700, Wayne Davison wrote:
    > > On Thu, Oct 09, 2008 at 03:29:04PM +0100, michael wrote:
    > > > and this is when I've tried both of
    > > > a) /usr/bin/rsync --daemon -v
    > > > b) sudo /sbin/chkconfig rsync on

    > > Fedora supplies an /etc/xinetd.d/rsync file that defaults to off. Using
    > > your b command should turn it on and sighup xinetd. If you go the
    > > xinetd route, that means that there won't be a dedicated rsync daemon
    > > running. You could elect to leave the xinetd config file disabled and
    > > run a daemon, if you like.
    > >
    > > However, Fedora doesn't supply an /etc/rsyncd.conf file, which you must
    > > create for rsync to work. With that set you should be able to run a
    > > "telnet localhost 873". If not, check the xinetd config files (if
    > > used). You can also try a "rsync --daemon --no-detach" to see if it
    > > outputs any errors about your config file (it can output some errors
    > > that way that can't make it into a log file, such as permission errors
    > > trying to create the log file). Hit Ctrl-C to kill it if it didn't die
    > > due to an error (an inability to bind error would be expected if you
    > > left xinetd enabled).

    > okay, I think I've done it - I created
    > mkb@veri:~$ cat /etc/rsyncd.conf
    > # rsyncd.conf file
    > # Time-stamp: <13:11BST on Fri 10 Oct 2008 by mkb on
    > veri.phy.umist.ac.uk>
    >
    > [backup]
    > path = /data1/BACKUPS/ratty/
    > max connections = 1
    > comment = rsyncd backup
    >
    > and it seems I have to be sudo to start the daemon:
    >
    > mkb@veri:~$ sudo /usr/bin/rsync --daemon -v --no-detach
    >
    > and then I can see said module from another machine:
    > michael@ratty:~/bin$ rsync veri.phy.umist.ac.uk::
    > backup rsyncd backup
    >
    > So I believe that's the daemon running.

    Although how do I start and restart it? I tried
    kill -HUP
    but that seems to have half killed it since now I can't restart:
    mkb@veri:~$ ps -elf|grep rsyncd
    0 R mkb 11929 11392 0 80 0 - 17433 - 13:48 pts/2
    00:00:00 grep rsyncd
    mkb@veri:~$ sudo tail /var/log/messages
    Oct 10 13:47:47 veri rsyncd[11922]: rsyncd version 2.6.9 starting,
    listening on port 873
    Oct 10 13:47:47 veri rsyncd[11922]: bind() failed: Address already in
    use (address-family 10)
    Oct 10 13:47:47 veri rsyncd[11922]: bind() failed: Address already in
    use (address-family 2)
    Oct 10 13:47:47 veri rsyncd[11922]: unable to bind any inbound sockets
    on port 873
    Oct 10 13:47:47 veri rsyncd[11922]: rsync error: error in socket IO
    (code 10) at socket.c(477) [receiver=2.6.9]
    Oct 10 13:48:28 veri rsyncd[11926]: rsyncd version 2.6.9 starting,
    listening on port 873
    Oct 10 13:48:28 veri rsyncd[11926]: bind() failed: Address already in
    use (address-family 10)
    Oct 10 13:48:28 veri rsyncd[11926]: bind() failed: Address already in
    use (address-family 2)
    Oct 10 13:48:28 veri rsyncd[11926]: unable to bind any inbound sockets
    on port 873
    Oct 10 13:48:28 veri rsyncd[11926]: rsync error: error in socket IO
    (code 10) at socket.c(477) [receiver=2.6.9]

  7. Re: how to start rsync daemon on fedora

    On Fri, 2008-10-10 at 13:49 +0100, michael wrote:
    > Although how do I start and restart it? I tried
    > kill -HUP
    > but that seems to have half killed it since now I can't restart:
    > mkb@veri:~$ ps -elf|grep rsyncd
    > 0 R mkb 11929 11392 0 80 0 - 17433 - 13:48 pts/2
    > 00:00:00 grep rsyncd
    > mkb@veri:~$ sudo tail /var/log/messages
    > Oct 10 13:47:47 veri rsyncd[11922]: rsyncd version 2.6.9 starting,
    > listening on port 873
    > Oct 10 13:47:47 veri rsyncd[11922]: bind() failed: Address already in
    > use (address-family 10)
    > Oct 10 13:47:47 veri rsyncd[11922]: bind() failed: Address already in
    > use (address-family 2)
    > Oct 10 13:47:47 veri rsyncd[11922]: unable to bind any inbound sockets
    > on port 873

    As Wayne said, this may be because xinetd is competing with your
    manually-started daemon for control of port 873. You should either
    enable the xinetd service with chkconfig or start the daemon manually
    with "rsync --daemon", but not both. If that isn't the problem, run
    "netstat -a --inet --program" as root to see what process is listening
    on the port.

    Matt