rsync backup permissions - Tools

This is a discussion on rsync backup permissions - Tools ; I had a quick look for an answer to what I'd presume is a common Q but failed so wondering if somebody here would point me in the right direction, please & thanks?! I wish to use rsync to backup ...

  1. rsync backup permissions

    I had a quick look for an answer to what I'd presume is a common Q but
    failed so wondering if somebody here would point me in the right
    direction, please & thanks?!

    I wish to use rsync to backup users' home dirs from machineA (Debian) to
    machineB (Fedora). I have a script, say backup.sh, in my own home dir
    and linked to from /etc/cron.daily and have set up the ssh keys so
    root@machineA can rsync to localUser@machineB. In testing the script is
    run and files are transferred. However, they are owned by localUser (of
    machineB) not of each user on machineA.

    I have tried various rsync options (--perms) but without joy. Can
    somebody advise me which flags I require?

    Thanks, Michael

  2. Re: rsync backup permissions

    On Thu, 2008-10-09 at 14:17 +0100, michael wrote:
    > I had a quick look for an answer to what I'd presume is a common Q but
    > failed so wondering if somebody here would point me in the right
    > direction, please & thanks?!
    >
    > I wish to use rsync to backup users' home dirs from machineA (Debian) to
    > machineB (Fedora). I have a script, say backup.sh, in my own home dir
    > and linked to from /etc/cron.daily and have set up the ssh keys so
    > root@machineA can rsync to localUser@machineB. In testing the script is
    > run and files are transferred. However, they are owned by localUser (of
    > machineB) not of each user on machineA.
    >
    > I have tried various rsync options (--perms) but without joy. Can
    > somebody advise me which flags I require?
    >
    > Thanks, Michael

    I should add that I've also tried these flags:

    rsync --super -o -g --perms -z --partial -v --recursive --stats
    --times --links --exclude-from=${LOCAL_DIR}/.rsync-EXCLUDE
    --timeout=1800 ${LOCAL_DIR} ${REMOTE_LOGIN}:${REMOTE_DIR}

    but get errors such as
    rsync: chown // failed: Operation not
    permitted (1)

  3. Re: rsync backup permissions

    On Thu, 2008-10-09 at 14:38 +0100, michael wrote:
    > On Thu, 2008-10-09 at 14:17 +0100, michael wrote:
    > > I wish to use rsync to backup users' home dirs from machineA (Debian) to
    > > machineB (Fedora). I have a script, say backup.sh, in my own home dir
    > > and linked to from /etc/cron.daily and have set up the ssh keys so
    > > root@machineA can rsync to localUser@machineB. In testing the script is
    > > run and files are transferred. However, they are owned by localUser (of
    > > machineB) not of each user on machineA.

    > I should add that I've also tried these flags:
    >
    > rsync --super -o -g --perms -z --partial -v --recursive --stats
    > --times --links --exclude-from=${LOCAL_DIR}/.rsync-EXCLUDE
    > --timeout=1800 ${LOCAL_DIR} ${REMOTE_LOGIN}:${REMOTE_DIR}
    >
    > but get errors such as
    > rsync: chown // failed: Operation not
    > permitted (1)

    -o is the option you want, but the receiving rsync needs to run as root
    to be able to set the file ownership. Alternatively, you could use
    --fake-super, which does not set the real ownership but saves the
    ownership data in an extended attribute from which a later rsync run can
    retrieve it.

    Matt

  4. Re: Re: rsync backup permissions

    So would the receiving end need to be running in daemon mode? There
    would be no way to set the proper ownership if it isn't?

    Matt McCutchen wrote:
    > On Thu, 2008-10-09 at 14:38 +0100, michael wrote:
    >> On Thu, 2008-10-09 at 14:17 +0100, michael wrote:
    >>> I wish to use rsync to backup users' home dirs from machineA (Debian) to
    >>> machineB (Fedora). I have a script, say backup.sh, in my own home dir
    >>> and linked to from /etc/cron.daily and have set up the ssh keys so
    >>> root@machineA can rsync to localUser@machineB. In testing the script is
    >>> run and files are transferred. However, they are owned by localUser (of
    >>> machineB) not of each user on machineA.

    >> I should add that I've also tried these flags:
    >>
    >> rsync --super -o -g --perms -z --partial -v --recursive --stats
    >> --times --links --exclude-from=${LOCAL_DIR}/.rsync-EXCLUDE
    >> --timeout=1800 ${LOCAL_DIR} ${REMOTE_LOGIN}:${REMOTE_DIR}
    >>
    >> but get errors such as
    >> rsync: chown // failed: Operation not
    >> permitted (1)

    > -o is the option you want, but the receiving rsync needs to run as root
    > to be able to set the file ownership. Alternatively, you could use
    > --fake-super, which does not set the real ownership but saves the
    > ownership data in an extended attribute from which a later rsync run can
    > retrieve it.
    >
    > Matt

  5. Re: rsync backup permissions

    On Fri, 2008-10-10 at 18:43 -0400, Matthew Monaco wrote:
    > So would the receiving end need to be running in daemon mode? There
    > would be no way to set the proper ownership if it isn't?

    Not necessarily. The receiving end just needs to run as root, and that
    can be accomplished on a run over remote shell by logging into the
    remote root account directly or using "sudo" or similar.

    Matt