    From: rsync-bounces+brad.farrell=shaw.ca@lists.samba.org
    [mailto:rsync-bounces+brad.farrell=shaw.ca@lists.samba.org] On Behalf Of Rob
    Bosch
    Sent: Monday, October 06, 2008 11:52 AM
    To: szemlicka@computerheroes.com
    Cc: rsync@lists.samba.org
    Subject: RE: Backup Microsoft Exchange

    You need to use shadow copies to create a drive you can use with rsync, or
    you have to take Exchange offline. You can use vshadow.exe (use version
    3.0) to create the shadow copy and then expose it as a drive. Then use
    rsync to sync this point-in-time backup to your offsite location across an
    ssh tunnel. vshadow with the -w option means it will tell the Exchange
    writer to create a consistent backup so you won't have problems with
    recovery.

    There is plenty of documentation on how to use vshadow to expose a shadow
    copy as a drive. When using rsync to send it offsite be sure to use the -I
    option since the date/time option of the exchange edb file will not
    necessarily change.

    You can also use betest (VSS SDK) to truncate logs periodically and use the
    -I option only when you truncate the logs. The rest of the time you will
    get the logs and you can do a soft recovery against your edb in the event of
    a disaster. If you truncate logs or use circular logging you have to use -I
    to force a sync even if the date/time has not changed.

    Rob

  2. Re: Backup Microsoft Exchange

    This should be simple:
    Use ntbackup to create a large .bkf file at a scheduled time.
    This will itself use shadow copy, so for this purpose (exchange) you really
    don't need to get into the VSS SDK.

    Moreover, I compress and encrypt that file with rsyncrypto (internally pipes
    to gzip with the --rsyncable argument).
    I end up with a file of around 8GB... (see http://rsyncrypto.lingnu.com)

    This file takes around 45 mins to sync, but obviously it depends on the
    amount and types of changes you get between backups.

    > I do the NT backup of the exchange to a .bkf file, then rsync that file.
    > My
    > largest was about 12GB and it took about 1 hour and transferred about
    > 300MB
    > of data across the net. I had to use rsync 3.x to make this work, though.
    >
    > Brad

  3. RE: Backup Microsoft Exchange

    The main reason I recommended using vshadow is that you don't have to create
    the BKF file so the space used is only what the shadow copy requires (300MB
    minimum). You can delete the shadow copy when you are done so no meaningful
    space impact on your drive. The shadow copy will also be very fast,
    normally less than 20 seconds on a 70GB data store, to create the shadow
    copy.

    Of course, either will work and ntbackup is a much easier way.

    Rob

  4. RE: Backup Microsoft Exchange

    Thanks Julian and Brad, I will give ntbackup a shot. I've used
    rsyncrypto but I'm not a huge fan. I don't need the files to be
    encrypted except during transit which can be done with just rsync,
    right?

    _________________________
    Stephen Zemlicka
    Service Manager
    Computer Heroes
    132 West 6th Street
    Monroe, WI 53566
    (608) 329-4300
    steve@computerheroes.com

    > I do the NT backup of the exchange to a .bkf file, then rsync that

    file.
    > My
    > largest was about 12GB and it took about 1 hour and transferred about
    > 300MB
    > of data across the net. I had to use rsync 3.x to make this work,

    though.

    > Brad

    list.
    > Before posting, read:

    > --
    > Please use reply-all for most replies to avoid omitting the mailing

    list.
    > Before posting, read:

  5. Re: Backup Microsoft Exchange

    Steve Zemlicka wrote:
    > Thanks Julian and Brad, I will give ntbackup a shot. I've used
    > rsyncrypto but I'm not a huge fan.

    Off topic, but as the author I'd love to hear why.
    > I don't need the files to be
    > encrypted except during transit which can be done with just rsync,
    > right?

    Yes. Do rsync over ssh or run a daemon over SSL. Rsyncrypto is not
    needed for in-transit encryption, only for storage encryption.

    Also, whether you use rsyncrypto or not, you can delete the temporary
    files (the ntbackup export and the rsyncrypto encrypted file) after you
    rsync them. They will be created again when you repeat the operation. If
    you are using rsyncrypto, make sure to not delete the symmetric key file
    (68 bytes), so that the result will be rsyncable.

    Shachar