Question on "Resource temporarily unavailable" error - Tools

This is a discussion on Question on "Resource temporarily unavailable" error - Tools ; I'm using rsync over an ssh tunnel to transfer some large files. I've been getting the "Resource temporarily unavailable" in my rsyncd.log frequently. The connections are T1's and very stable so I don't think it is a network drop. The ...

  1. Question on "Resource temporarily unavailable" error

    I'm using rsync over an ssh tunnel to transfer some large files. I've been
    getting the "Resource temporarily unavailable" in my rsyncd.log frequently.
    The connections are T1's and very stable so I don't think it is a network
    drop. The disconnect occurs on the same files every time...although these
    files are also the largest ones taking the most time. I tried limiting the
    bandwidth to make sure that wasn't an issue and still get the error. I'm
    running rsync on cygwin 1.7. rsync version is 3.0.3 with preallocate patch
    applied. Anyone have any suggestions?

    Example error in rsyncd.log

    2008/09/30 12:09:55 [12508] rsync: write failed on "/EDrive/testfile.edb"
    (in Test.Backup):Resource temporarily unavailable (11)
    2008/09/30 12:09:55 [12508] rsync error: error in file IO (code 11) at
    receiver.c(321) [receiver=3.0.3]
    2008/09/30 12:09:55 [12508] rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (86 bytes
    received so far) [generator]
    2008/09/30 12:09:55 [12508] rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream
    (code 12) at io.c(644)

    Rob

  2. Re: Question on "Resource temporarily unavailable" error

    On Tue, 2008-09-30 at 14:20 -0600, Rob Bosch wrote:
    > 2008/09/30 12:09:55 [12508] rsync: write failed on "/EDrive/testfile.edb"
    > (in Test.Backup):Resource temporarily unavailable (11)

    That error is coming from the destination filesystem. What happens if
    you copy the files to another place on the destination machine and then
    locally (using rsync or another tool) to the directory that is giving
    the errors? If the /EDrive/testfile.edb path is on a network
    filesystem, see if the network filesystem has logged any errors or try
    taking it out of the loop by rsyncing directly to the machine holding
    the destination files.

    Matt

  3. RE: Question on "Resource temporarily unavailable" error

    Thanks for the tip. The destination is on a fibre channel array. I'm able
    to replicate the issue when trying to rsync locally and I get a read error.
    I'm wondering if it is a hardware issue. I'm deleting the file and letting
    rsync recreate it...then I'll see if the issue occurs again. You're
    probably right, it may be a hardware issue.

    Rob

    On Tue, 2008-09-30 at 14:20 -0600, Rob Bosch wrote:
    > 2008/09/30 12:09:55 [12508] rsync: write failed on "/EDrive/testfile.edb"
    > (in Test.Backup):Resource temporarily unavailable (11)

    That error is coming from the destination filesystem. What happens if
    you copy the files to another place on the destination machine and then
    locally (using rsync or another tool) to the directory that is giving
    the errors? If the /EDrive/testfile.edb path is on a network
    filesystem, see if the network filesystem has logged any errors or try
    taking it out of the loop by rsyncing directly to the machine holding
    the destination files.

    Matt

  4. RE: Question on "Resource temporarily unavailable" error

    I've removed the file from the destination machine and still received the
    error. When I disabled the preallocate option it worked. I suspect there
    is an issue in the cygwin preallocate option in 1.7. I'll report it to the
    cygwin message board.

    Rob