feature request: restart on timeout - Tools

This is a discussion on feature request: restart on timeout - Tools ; I'm currently in Egypt, and my Internet connection goes up and down a lot. rsync --partial --timeout is great, especially when combined with a little script that checks whether it failed due to timeout, and in that case starts the ...

  1. feature request: restart on timeout

    I'm currently in Egypt, and my Internet connection goes up and down a
    lot. rsync --partial --timeout is great, especially when combined with a
    little script that checks whether it failed due to timeout, and in that
    case starts the transfer up again. I think it would be a good feature
    for rsync to support itself. Something like:
    --auto-restart
    When a timeout occurs, automatically restart the transfer.

    Tim

    --
    Follow me around the world at http://www.casualhacker.net/blog/

  2. Re: feature request: restart on timeout

    On Sun, 2008-09-28 at 19:52 +0200, Tim Newsome wrote:
    > I'm currently in Egypt, and my Internet connection goes up and down a
    > lot. rsync --partial --timeout is great, especially when combined with a
    > little script that checks whether it failed due to timeout, and in that
    > case starts the transfer up again. I think it would be a good feature
    > for rsync to support itself. Something like:
    > --auto-restart
    > When a timeout occurs, automatically restart the transfer.

    IMO, automatic restarting would be too messy to implement inside rsync.
    It could be done by a shell script, which could be distributed with
    rsync in the support/ dir.

    Matt