Re: INCLUDE/EXCLUDE PATTERN RULES problem on MAC OS - Tools

This is a discussion on Re: INCLUDE/EXCLUDE PATTERN RULES problem on MAC OS - Tools ; On Thu, 2008-09-25 at 14:12 +0200, mathias lambeau wrote: > I would like to back up several desktop computer, and notebooks who > are running under Mac OS, on a linux server with ext3 filesystem. > > I try several ...

  1. Re: INCLUDE/EXCLUDE PATTERN RULES problem on MAC OS

    On Thu, 2008-09-25 at 14:12 +0200, mathias lambeau wrote:
    > I would like to back up several desktop computer, and notebooks who
    > are running under Mac OS, on a linux server with ext3 filesystem.
    >
    > I try several times with rsync, using include lists
    > ( --include-from=my_include_file).
    > The include list is working except for directory and filename with
    > special character ( like french one : é,è,ù etc ...).
    > The pattern in the include list don't match with filesystem, and my file/directory isn't on the backup.

    The Mac OS HFS+ filesystem forces all filenames to decomposed UTF-8
    characters, while Linux generally uses composed ones. That means if you
    typed in the exclude list on Linux, the special characters may be
    composed and fail to match the decomposed characters in the source
    filenames (since rsync does a binary comparison). To fix that, you can
    decompose the characters in the include file by running it through
    "uconv -x NFD" (D is for decompose); uconv(1) is a command-line tool
    that comes with ICU (http://icu-project.org/).

    Matt

  2. Re: INCLUDE/EXCLUDE PATTERN RULES problem on MAC OS

    Matt McCutchen wrote:

    > (since rsync does a binary comparison).

    rsync as well as the Unix kernel, typically.

    I have implemented i18n support in several programs before, I am working
    on a draft for BiDi text editing, and I had to look up what
    decomposition means. If that's the case, I doubt we can trust a sane
    (vs., e.g., myself) user to get it right.

    I think the right thing is for rsync to have, #ifdefed on a Mac build, a
    decomposition algorithm for the exclude/include files. Please note that
    while HFS insists on decomposed characters, there is no such requirement
    from plain text files. For all we know, a file typed on Mac may still
    fail to match the file names.

    Shachar