howto backup a Solaris 7 Server without its OS - Tools

This is a discussion on howto backup a Solaris 7 Server without its OS - Tools ; Hi Folks, I haven't used rsync as yet but today I have to. Basically I need to backup all datas from one Server to another machine with the whole structure. Here is what I have on mind and I am ...

  1. howto backup a Solaris 7 Server without its OS

    Hi Folks,

    I haven't used rsync as yet but today I have to. Basically I need to
    backup all datas from one Server to another machine with the whole
    structure. Here is what I have on mind and I am wondering if that might
    be a way to go...

    Connect the 2 machines - they shouldn't be at that time in the LAN - via
    a CrossOver Cable

    Then start rsync on the machine that should putt he datas to the new
    machine like this:

    rsync --verbose --progress -r -u -Hav /from/the_old_machine/
    /to_the/new_machine

    Ist the technically way okay and mor important is: Is the rsync command
    I wrote correct?

    If not, I hope someone might be willing and able to help me.

    Thanks a lot
    Niels

  2. Re: howto backup a Solaris 7 Server without its OS

    On Mon, 2008-09-22 at 15:56 +0200, Jende, Niels wrote:
    > I haven't used rsync as yet but today I have to. Basically I need to
    > backup all datas from one Server to another machine with the whole
    > structure. Here is what I have on mind and I am wondering if that might
    > be a way to go...
    >
    > Connect the 2 machines - they shouldn't be at that time in the LAN - via
    > a CrossOver Cable
    >
    > Then start rsync on the machine that should putt he datas to the new
    > machine like this:
    >
    > rsync --verbose --progress -r -u -Hav /from/the_old_machine/
    > /to_the/new_machine
    >

    > Ist the technically way okay and mor important is: Is the rsync command
    > I wrote correct?

    The approach sounds reasonable. However, unless you are using a network
    filesystem, the destination "/to_the/new_machine" is on the old machine.
    You probably mean to use a remote destination that points to the new
    machine, like this (remote shell):

    rsync --verbose --progress -r -u -Hav /from/the_old_machine/ newhost:/to_the/new_machine

    or this (rsync daemon):

    rsync --verbose --progress -r -u -Hav /from/the_old_machine/ newhost::modulename/to_the/new_machine

    See the first few sections of the rsync man page for more information.

    Matt