Re: using rsync to transfer only files and not sub-directories - Tools

This is a discussion on Re: using rsync to transfer only files and not sub-directories - Tools ; On Tue, 2008-09-16 at 12:30 -0700, Meeaz wrote: > I am trying to rsync contents of a directory while making sure that > "only" files under that directory are synched and "not" the contents > of any sub-directory under that ...

  1. Re: using rsync to transfer only files and not sub-directories

    On Tue, 2008-09-16 at 12:30 -0700, Meeaz wrote:
    > I am trying to rsync contents of a directory while making sure that
    > "only" files under that directory are synched and "not" the contents
    > of any sub-directory under that dir. I know that I will have to use
    > the include/exclude option but not sure how.

    The following will copy the subdirectories themselves but not their
    contents:

    rsync -d SRC/ DEST/

    If you don't want the subdirectories at all, do this:

    rsync -d --exclude='*/' SRC/ DEST/

    Matt

  2. Re: using rsync to transfer only files and not sub-directories

    Thanks. We have:-

    rsync version 2.6.3 protocol version 28

    Does the "-d" option work for the version above?

    Thanks

    Matt McCutchen-7 wrote:

    > On Tue, 2008-09-16 at 12:30 -0700, Meeaz wrote:
    >> I am trying to rsync contents of a directory while making sure that
    >> "only" files under that directory are synched and "not" the contents
    >> of any sub-directory under that dir. I know that I will have to use
    >> the include/exclude option but not sure how.

    > The following will copy the subdirectories themselves but not their
    > contents:
    >
    > rsync -d SRC/ DEST/
    >
    > If you don't want the subdirectories at all, do this:
    >
    > rsync -d --exclude='*/' SRC/ DEST/
    >
    > Matt
    >
    > --

  3. Re: using rsync to transfer only files and not sub-directories

    On Wed, 2008-09-17 at 06:19 -0700, Meeaz wrote:
    > Thanks. We have:-
    >
    > rsync version 2.6.3 protocol version 28
    >
    > Does the "-d" option work for the version above?

    No, -d was added in 2.6.4. With such an old version, you'll have to use
    the following if you want the subdirectories themselves:

    rsync -r --exclude='*/*' SRC/ DEST/

    or the following if you don't:

    rsync -r --exclude='*/' SRC/ DEST/

    Matt