rsync as a remote file system protocol? - Tools

This is a discussion on rsync as a remote file system protocol? - Tools ; Does anyone know of an existing facility to access a remote rsync server as a virtual filesystem through gnome-vfs, FUSE, lufs, or similar that supports listing the contents of directories? I have already a bunch of web searches, looked through ...

  1. rsync as a remote file system protocol?

    Does anyone know of an existing facility to access a remote
    rsync server as a virtual filesystem through gnome-vfs, FUSE, lufs, or
    similar that supports listing the contents of directories?

    I have already a bunch of web searches, looked through
    http://fuse.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/FileSystems, checked my
    /usr/lib/gnome-vfs-2.0/modules/, and checked the list of available KDE
    kio slaves on my system.

    In case anyone is curious, I want to monitor a bunch of
    sourceforge directories for changes, which I used to do by the
    gnomevfs-ftp back when ftp1.sourceforge.net at least allowed directory
    listings. As far as I know, the sourceforge directory tree is not
    available over any other remote filesystem protocol (FTP, NFS, webDAV,
    or a _computer-friendly_ http interface). This is surprising, since a
    number of research file systems exist on Linux supporting read only
    access to replicated file servers which update relatively infrequently
    and do deletions even less frequently (Andrew file system,
    Presto/Lento, etc.).

    I could probably more easily do something application specific
    by repeatedly invoking "rsync --list-only", but if it's not much more
    work, I think I may try to write the sort of virtual file system
    interface for rsync I have described, in the hopes that it would also
    be useful for others, but I ask here to make sure would not be
    duplicating something that is already available.

    Adam Richter

  2. Re: rsync as a remote file system protocol?

    At 12:07 10.09.2008 -0700, Adam J. Richter wrote:
    > Does anyone know of an existing facility to access a remote
    >rsync server as a virtual filesystem through gnome-vfs, FUSE, lufs, or
    >similar that supports listing the contents of directories?
    >
    > In case anyone is curious, I want to monitor a bunch of
    >sourceforge directories for changes, which I used to do by the
    >gnomevfs-ftp back when ftp1.sourceforge.net at least allowed directory
    >listings.

    Maybe you could also do something like 'svn --dry-run update' to
    check for changes but for that you need a checkout of the project
    you want to monitor.

    bye Fabi