Re: most recent updated files on destination - Tools

This is a discussion on Re: most recent updated files on destination - Tools ; On Sat, 2008-08-30 at 19:18 +0200, Tyler Durden wrote: > I want to synchronize two local directories, but if in the destination > directory there are some files that has most recent modified time than > the source directory I ...

  1. Re: most recent updated files on destination

    On Sat, 2008-08-30 at 19:18 +0200, Tyler Durden wrote:
    > I want to synchronize two local directories, but if in the destination
    > directory there are some files that has most recent modified time than
    > the source directory I want that the source old files than the
    > destination will be updated. Is it possible?

    You can use the -u option to avoid replacing destination files with
    older source files, but you will need a second run in the reverse
    direction to update the source files. You may prefer a two-way
    synchronization tool such as Unison
    ( http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/ ).

    Matt

  2. Re: most recent updated files on destination

    Ivan, please CC rsync@lists.samba.org so that your messages are archived
    for others' future benefit.

    On Sun, 2008-08-31 at 11:40 +0200, Tyler Durden wrote:
    > I already now the behavior of the -u option, but I want to know if
    > other option exist to do this. How you say me that is not possible I
    > want to suggest that the -u option would do this action in future
    > changes since in man pages acclaim.

    I'm quite certain that the -u option is not going to change to do a
    two-way synchronization in a future version of rsync. Use either two
    rsync runs (rsync -u dirA/ dirB/, rsync -u dirB/ dirA/) or a tool such
    as Unison that is designed for two-way synchronization.

    Matt

+ Reply to Thread