Re: Rsync Error Code 23? - Tools

This is a discussion on Re: Rsync Error Code 23? - Tools ; On Tue, 2008-08-26 at 16:29 -0700, earl.j.sanchez@seagate.com wrote: > Regarding "rsync error code 23" could the below "delete_file: ...file > exist" failures cause the error code 23? Or, how can I resolve this as > these are the only errors ...

  1. Re: Rsync Error Code 23?

    On Tue, 2008-08-26 at 16:29 -0700, earl.j.sanchez@seagate.com wrote:
    > Regarding "rsync error code 23" could the below "delete_file: ...file
    > exist" failures cause the error code 23? Or, how can I resolve this as
    > these are the only errors I see in the log files.
    > Thank you!
    >
    > START Tue Aug 26 11:10:12 PDT 2008
    > /home/filerep/bin/rsync -e /var/openssh/bin/ssh --archive --stats
    > --timeout 3600
    > fmttcesrv1::tce_data /drp/fmttcesrv1/snapshots/fs/tce_data
    > --bwlimit=900
    > delete_file: rmdir "/drp/fmttcesrv1/snapshots/fs/tce_data/pc-software"
    > failed: F
    > ile exists
    > symlink "/drp/fmttcesrv1/snapshots/fs/tce_data/pc-software" -> "pc"
    > failed: File
    > exists

    In this case I think it's actually the "symlink" failure causing the
    code 23. "delete_file" failures currently don't cause code 23, but they
    probably should because they result in an incorrect transfer.

    Rsync appears to be trying to delete what it believes is a directory
    from the destination and make a symlink there instead. However, its
    rmdir call fails with EEXIST (File exists), which isn't even listed as a
    possible error in my rmdir(2) man page. What is at the
    path /drp/fmttcesrv1/snapshots/fs/tce_data/pc-software ? Is it a
    directory, as rsync believes? Can you remove the directory manually
    with rmdir(1)? If you can't, you have a non-rsync-specific filesystem
    problem, while if you can, we'll have to investigate further why rsync
    is failing.

    Matt

  2. Re: Rsync Error Code 23?

    Thank you for your response Matt.
    On the source server, "/snapshots/fs/tce_data/pc-software/pc" is a symlink
    to the directory "/snapshots/fs/tce_data/pc".

    On the destination server,
    "/drp/fmttcesrv1/snapshots/fs/tce_data/pc-software" is a directory which
    contains the partial content of "/drp/fmttcesrv1/snapshots/fs/tce_data/pc".
    rmdir cannot remove "/drp/fmttcesrv1/snapshots/fs/tce_data/pc-software"
    which is not empty as it contains partial content from
    "/drp/fmttcesrv1/snapshots/fs/tce_data/pc". See below directory structure.

    drpvault# pwd
    /drp/fmttcesrv1/snapshots/fs/tce_data
    drpvault# ls
    client_logs ItemValRequest pc-software tcdata_unx
    trans_9135
    fmtprd lost+found pc-software.README tcdata_win
    imandata_unx mcad PdfCreateRequest team
    imandata_win pc software trans
    drpvault# ls -l pc-software
    total 4
    drwxr-xr-x 3 ideasadm ideasadm 512 Jun 14 2006 pc-software
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 ideasadm ideasadm 14 Nov 5 2007 team ->
    /tce_data/team
    drpvault# ls -l pc
    total 6
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 ideasadm ideasadm 7 Nov 5 2007 mcad -> ../mcad
    drwxrwxrwx 11 ideasadm ideasadm 512 Apr 4 16:27 pc-software
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 ideasadm ideasadm 7 Nov 5 2007 team -> ../team
    drpvault#

    Matt McCutchen
    en.net> To
    No Phone Info earl.j.sanchez@seagate.com
    Available cc
    rsync@lists.samba.org
    Subject
    08/26/2008 08:02 Re: Rsync Error Code 23?
    PM

    On Tue, 2008-08-26 at 16:29 -0700, earl.j.sanchez@seagate.com wrote:
    > Regarding "rsync error code 23" could the below "delete_file: ...file
    > exist" failures cause the error code 23? Or, how can I resolve this as
    > these are the only errors I see in the log files.
    > Thank you!
    >
    > START Tue Aug 26 11:10:12 PDT 2008
    > /home/filerep/bin/rsync -e /var/openssh/bin/ssh --archive --stats
    > --timeout 3600
    > fmttcesrv1::tce_data /drp/fmttcesrv1/snapshots/fs/tce_data
    > --bwlimit=900
    > delete_file: rmdir "/drp/fmttcesrv1/snapshots/fs/tce_data/pc-software"
    > failed: F
    > ile exists
    > symlink "/drp/fmttcesrv1/snapshots/fs/tce_data/pc-software" -> "pc"
    > failed: File
    > exists

    In this case I think it's actually the "symlink" failure causing the
    code 23. "delete_file" failures currently don't cause code 23, but they
    probably should because they result in an incorrect transfer.

    Rsync appears to be trying to delete what it believes is a directory
    from the destination and make a symlink there instead. However, its
    rmdir call fails with EEXIST (File exists), which isn't even listed as a
    possible error in my rmdir(2) man page. What is at the
    path /drp/fmttcesrv1/snapshots/fs/tce_data/pc-software ? Is it a
    directory, as rsync believes? Can you remove the directory manually
    with rmdir(1)? If you can't, you have a non-rsync-specific filesystem
    problem, while if you can, we'll have to investigate further why rsync
    is failing.

    Matt
    (See attached file: signature.asc)

  3. Re: Rsync Error Code 23?

    On Wed, 2008-08-27 at 10:45 -0700, earl.j.sanchez@seagate.com wrote:
    > Thank you for your response Matt.
    > On the source server, "/snapshots/fs/tce_data/pc-software/pc" is a symlink
    > to the directory "/snapshots/fs/tce_data/pc".
    >
    > On the destination server,
    > "/drp/fmttcesrv1/snapshots/fs/tce_data/pc-software" is a directory which
    > contains the partial content of "/drp/fmttcesrv1/snapshots/fs/tce_data/pc".
    > rmdir cannot remove "/drp/fmttcesrv1/snapshots/fs/tce_data/pc-software"
    > which is not empty as it contains partial content from
    > "/drp/fmttcesrv1/snapshots/fs/tce_data/pc".

    Ah. If you want rsync to recursively delete a destination directory
    that is to be replaced with a non-directory, you just need to use
    --force. (I was thrown off by the "File exists" error; I would have
    expected "Directory not empty".)

    Matt

+ Reply to Thread