accented characters in filenames mangled when rsyncing to a sambashare - Tools

This is a discussion on accented characters in filenames mangled when rsyncing to a sambashare - Tools ; Hi folks, I am having a problem rsyncing files with accents in the names. I've seen similar problems reported a few times before in the archives but they didn't seem to be referring to exactly the same problem as what ...

  1. accented characters in filenames mangled when rsyncing to a sambashare

    Hi folks,

    I am having a problem rsyncing files with accents in the names. I've
    seen similar problems reported a few times before in the archives but
    they didn't seem to be referring to exactly the same problem as what I
    have, and I'm not good enough at Linux to solve my problem by
    generalising from the information there: sorry.

    Anyway, my specific details are this. I am running rsync on a QNAP
    TS-109 which is a NAS device running a kind of debian linux. Also on
    the network is a Lacie network drive formatted with FAT32, which I
    mount from the QNAP using samba. I am trying to set up a regular back
    up the contents of the QNAP to the Lacie. The problem is that any
    filename which has accents in gets mangled. The files copy across but
    the accents are mangled: if I view the files by mounting the Lacie
    drive on Windows then the accents appear as the box special character,
    repeated between around 10 and 50 times (with the rest of the filename
    truncated); if I view the files using ls while ssh'ed into the QNAP
    then accented character does not appear at all and the rest of the
    filename is truncated.

    A further strange behaviour is that when directories contain accented
    characters, around 10 or so copies of them are created, each with
    varying numbers of the box special character.

    I would very much appreciate if anyone could help me with this! I am
    happy to provide more detailed information on request.

    Cheers,

    Ben

    --
    Dr. Ben Kenward
    Department of Psychology, Uppsala University, Sweden

  2. Re: accented characters in filenames mangled when rsyncing to asamba share

    Bump.

    My apologies for hassling the list with the repeated question (see
    below). Is it ignored because this is an easy problem I ought to be
    able to solve myself, or because it is a hard problem no one knows the
    answer to?

    I have now reformatted the destination drive to EXT3, which I was
    almost certain was going to solve the problem, but it hasn't. So I
    have rsync copying between two disks which are both EXT3, both mounted
    on the same linux system (although the destination is mounted as
    smbfs), but rsync (2.6.6) is mangling the accented character
    filenames. What could be wrong?

    Cheers,

    Ben

    --
    Dr. Ben Kenward
    Department of Psychology, Uppsala University, Sweden
    +46 18 4712125
    http://www.benkenward.com

  3. Re: accented characters in filenames mangled when rsyncing to a sambashare

    Did you specify any lang specific mount options for samba?

    On Sep 1, 7:18*am, ben.kenw...@gmail.com ("Ben Kenward") wrote:
    > Bump.
    >
    > My apologies for hassling the list with the repeated question (see
    > below). Is it ignored because this is an easy problem I ought to be
    > able to solve myself, or because it is a hard problem no one knows the
    > answer to?
    >
    > I have now reformatted the destination drive to EXT3, which I was
    > almost certain was going to solve the problem, but it hasn't. So I
    > have rsync copying between two disks which are both EXT3, both mounted
    > on the same linux system (although the destination is mounted as
    > smbfs), but rsync (2.6.6) is mangling the accented character
    > filenames. What could be wrong?
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Ben
    >

    > On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 11:46 PM, Ben Kenward wrote:
    > > Hi folks,

    > > I am having a problem rsyncing files with accents in the names. I've
    > > seen similar problems reported a few times before in the archives but
    > > they didn't seem to be referring to exactly the same problem as what I
    > > have, and I'm not good enough at Linux to solve my problem by
    > > generalising from the information there: sorry.

    > > Anyway, my specific details are this. I am running rsync on aQNAP
    > > TS-109 which is a NAS device running a kind of debian linux. Also on
    > > the network is a Lacie network drive formatted with FAT32, which I
    > > mount from theQNAPusing samba. I am trying to set up a regular back
    > > up the contents of theQNAPto the Lacie. The problem is that any
    > > filename which has accents in gets mangled. The files copy across but
    > > the accents are mangled: if I view the files by mounting the Lacie
    > > drive on Windows then the accents appear as the box special character,
    > > repeated between around 10 and 50 times (with the rest of the filename
    > > truncated); if I view the files using ls while ssh'ed into theQNAP
    > > then accented character does not appear at all and the rest of the
    > > filename is truncated.

    > > A further strange behaviour is that when directories contain accented
    > > characters, around 10 or so copies of them are created, each with
    > > varying numbers of the box special character.

    > > I would very much appreciate if anyone could help me with this! I am
    > > happy to provide more detailed information on request.

    > > Cheers,

    > > Ben

    > > --
    > > Dr. Ben Kenward
    > > Department of Psychology, Uppsala University, Sweden
    > > +46 18 4712125
    > >http://www.benkenward.com

    > --
    > Dr. Ben Kenward
    > Department of Psychology, Uppsala University, Sweden
    > +46 18 4712125http://www.benkenward.com
    > --

  4. Re: accented characters in filenames mangled when rsyncing to asamba share

    On Tue, 2008-08-26 at 23:46 +0200, Ben Kenward wrote:
    > I am having a problem rsyncing files with accents in the names.

    > I am running rsync on a QNAP
    > TS-109 which is a NAS device running a kind of debian linux. Also on
    > the network is a Lacie network drive formatted with FAT32, which I
    > mount from the QNAP using samba. I am trying to set up a regular back
    > up the contents of the QNAP to the Lacie. The problem is that any
    > filename which has accents in gets mangled. The files copy across but
    > the accents are mangled: if I view the files by mounting the Lacie
    > drive on Windows then the accents appear as the box special character,
    > repeated between around 10 and 50 times (with the rest of the filename
    > truncated); if I view the files using ls while ssh'ed into the QNAP
    > then accented character does not appear at all and the rest of the
    > filename is truncated.
    >
    > A further strange behaviour is that when directories contain accented
    > characters, around 10 or so copies of them are created, each with
    > varying numbers of the box special character.

    I have never known rsync itself to mangle names: when it creates files
    on the destination, it uses the same bytes returned by readdir on the
    source unless you request conversion with --iconv. Consult the Samba
    documentation and/or mailing list for information about how it handles
    encodings. If you know what encoding the network drive supports, you
    may be able to fix the problem with rsync's --iconv option.

    Matt

+ Reply to Thread