Problem using rsync for backing up on to a NAS - Tools

This is a discussion on Problem using rsync for backing up on to a NAS - Tools ; Hi, I have a problem that was already discused in the german archlinux forum and couldn't be solved. Because of this I was asked to use the rsync mailing list. So here I am ;b I'm using the following script ...

  1. Problem using rsync for backing up on to a NAS

    Hi,

    I have a problem that was already discused in the german archlinux forum
    and couldn't be solved. Because of this I was asked to use the rsync
    mailing list. So here I am ;b

    I'm using the following script to backup my data to a Network Attached
    Storage that has an ext3 formated hdd that is mounted via NFS

    script: http://pastebin.com/f6b7115c9

    This script works fine for /home but using it for / always fails at the
    folder /usr/share/terminfo

    Here are three error messages: http://pastebin.com/f75703bda,
    http://pastebin.com/f235bd2e5 and http://pastebin.com/f6ff5890a

    I tried the same script on an USB-HDD and it works fine, even for /

    Here are some information about the NFS config:

    cat /proc/mounts | grep nfs: http://pastebin.com/f250c9f63 (I aslo tried
    bigger rsize and wsize)

    exportfs -v:
    /volume1 192.168.0.13(rw,wdelay,no_root_squash,no_subtree_c heck)

    cat /var/lib/nfs/etab:
    /volume1
    192.168.0.13(rw,sync,wdelay,hide,nocrossmnt,secure ,no_root_squash,no_all_squash,no_subtree_check,sec ure_locks,acl,anonuid=65534,anongid=65534)

    cat /var/lib/nfs/xtab:
    /volume1
    molungus(rw,sync,wdelay,hide,nocrossmnt,secure,no_ root_squash,no_all_squash,no_subtree_check,secure_ locks,acl,anonuid=65534,anongid=65534)

    I already deleted everything and started a new backup but this also
    failed after the first day.

    I hope you can help me. If you need further informations please let me know.

    Thanks

    Thomas

    P.S.: For those who speak German here you can find the thread in the
    archlinux forum:
    http://forum.archlinux.de/?page=Post...ad=8597;post=0

  2. Re: Problem using rsync for backing up on to a NAS

    Hi!

    After searching again I tried the option -W because it is suggested for
    backups over LAN.

    But again I get following error message:

    usr/share/terminfo/l/
    deleting usr/share/terminfo/l/LFT-PC850
    rsync: stat
    "/home/thomas/DiskStation/Thomas/backup/molungus-root/2008-08-25/usr/share/terminfo/L/LFT-PC850"
    failed: No such file or directory (2)
    usr/share/terminfo/l/lft => usr/share/terminfo/l/lft-pc850
    rsync: link
    "/home/thomas/DiskStation/Thomas/backup/molungus-root/2008-08-25/usr/share/terminfo/L/LFT-PC850"
    => usr/share/terminfo/l/lft-pc850 failed: File exists (17)
    rsync: unlink
    "/home/thomas/DiskStation/Thomas/backup/molungus-root/2008-08-25/."
    failed: Is a directory (21)
    File index not found: 7235938 (-1 - 185115)
    rsync error: protocol incompatibility (code 2) at hlink.c(488)
    [generator=3.0.3]
    rsync error: received SIGUSR1 (code 19) at main.c(1286) [receiver=3.0.3]
    rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (47697 bytes received so far) [sender]
    rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(635)
    [sender=3.0.3]

    Kind regards

    Thomas

    Thomas Ebert schrieb:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a problem that was already discused in the german archlinux
    > forum and couldn't be solved. Because of this I was asked to use the
    > rsync mailing list. So here I am ;b
    >
    > I'm using the following script to backup my data to a Network Attached
    > Storage that has an ext3 formated hdd that is mounted via NFS
    >
    > script: http://pastebin.com/f6b7115c9
    >
    > This script works fine for /home but using it for / always fails at
    > the folder /usr/share/terminfo
    >
    > Here are three error messages: http://pastebin.com/f75703bda,
    > http://pastebin.com/f235bd2e5 and http://pastebin.com/f6ff5890a
    >
    > I tried the same script on an USB-HDD and it works fine, even for /
    >
    > Here are some information about the NFS config:
    >
    > cat /proc/mounts | grep nfs: http://pastebin.com/f250c9f63 (I aslo
    > tried bigger rsize and wsize)
    >
    > exportfs -v:
    > /volume1 192.168.0.13(rw,wdelay,no_root_squash,no_subtree_c heck)
    >
    > cat /var/lib/nfs/etab:
    > /volume1
    > 192.168.0.13(rw,sync,wdelay,hide,nocrossmnt,secure ,no_root_squash,no_all_squash,no_subtree_check,sec ure_locks,acl,anonuid=65534,anongid=65534)
    >

    > cat /var/lib/nfs/xtab:
    > /volume1
    > molungus(rw,sync,wdelay,hide,nocrossmnt,secure,no_ root_squash,no_all_squash,no_subtree_check,secure_ locks,acl,anonuid=65534,anongid=65534)
    >

    > I already deleted everything and started a new backup but this also
    > failed after the first day.
    >
    > I hope you can help me. If you need further informations please let me
    > know.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Thomas
    >
    > P.S.: For those who speak German here you can find the thread in the
    > archlinux forum:
    > http://forum.archlinux.de/?page=Post...ad=8597;post=0

  3. Re: Problem using rsync for backing up on to a NAS

    Sorry for being impatient, but no one has a clue about my problem?

    Thanks

    Thomas

    -------- Original-Nachricht --------
> [...]

    > > /volume1 192.168.0.13(rw,wdelay,no_root_squash,no_subtree_c heck)
    > >
    > > cat /var/lib/nfs/etab:
    > > /volume1
    > >

    > 192.168.0.13(rw,sync,wdelay,hide,nocrossmnt,secure ,no_root_squash,no_all_squash,no_subtree_check,sec ure_locks,acl,anonuid=65534,anongid=65534)
    > >

    > > cat /var/lib/nfs/xtab:
    > > /volume1
    > >

    > molungus(rw,sync,wdelay,hide,nocrossmnt,secure,no_ root_squash,no_all_squash,no_subtree_check,secure_ locks,acl,anonuid=65534,anongid=65534)
    > >

    > > I already deleted everything and started a new backup but this also
    > > failed after the first day.
    > >
    > > I hope you can help me. If you need further informations please let me
    > > know.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > Thomas
    > >
    > > P.S.: For those who speak German here you can find the thread in the

  4. Re: Problem using rsync for backing up on to a NAS

    On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 04:43:29PM +0200, Thomas Ebert wrote:
    > rsync: stat
    > "/home/thomas/DiskStation/Thomas/backup/molungus-root/2008-08-25/usr/share/terminfo/L/LFT-PC850"
    > failed: No such file or directory (2)
    > usr/share/terminfo/l/lft => usr/share/terminfo/l/lft-pc850
    > rsync: link
    > "/home/thomas/DiskStation/Thomas/backup/molungus-root/2008-08-25/usr/share/terminfo/L/LFT-PC850"
    > => usr/share/terminfo/l/lft-pc850 failed: File exists (17)

    This indicates that your filesystem is not behaving correctly, since it
    is returning conflicting results to rsync. One of your pastebin errors
    from an earlier email also listed an NFS error with a mount going stale,
    which is something that you'd need to fix outside of rsync.

    > File index not found: 7235938 (-1 - 185115)
    > rsync error: protocol incompatibility (code 2) at hlink.c(488)
    > [generator=3.0.3]

    That looks like some kind of text message getting in the way of the
    protocol, since the number turns into the string "bin".

    ...wayne..

  5. Re: Problem using rsync for backing up on to a NAS

    Thanks for your reply,

    what I'm wondering about is, that everything works fine if I delete the
    dir /usr/share/terminfo in the linkdest before running rsync so that has
    to be copied as is by rsync.

    No other directory is affected, though. I also don't understand the
    behaviour of rsync: First it complains that there is no such file or
    directory just to say that it exists in the second step.

    So, what could go wrong with /usr/share/terminfo and what do you
    suggest? Currently I'm only backing up /home and my "mp3-partition" to
    the NAS as this works without any problem and I'm backing up / to an
    external hdd via usb.

    Thanks

    Thomas

    Wayne Davison schrieb:
    > On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 04:43:29PM +0200, Thomas Ebert wrote:
    >
    >> rsync: stat
    >> "/home/thomas/DiskStation/Thomas/backup/molungus-root/2008-08-25/usr/share/terminfo/L/LFT-PC850"
    >> failed: No such file or directory (2)
    >> usr/share/terminfo/l/lft => usr/share/terminfo/l/lft-pc850
    >> rsync: link
    >> "/home/thomas/DiskStation/Thomas/backup/molungus-root/2008-08-25/usr/share/terminfo/L/LFT-PC850"
    >> => usr/share/terminfo/l/lft-pc850 failed: File exists (17)
    >>

    > This indicates that your filesystem is not behaving correctly, since it
    > is returning conflicting results to rsync. One of your pastebin errors
    > from an earlier email also listed an NFS error with a mount going stale,
    > which is something that you'd need to fix outside of rsync.
    >

    >> File index not found: 7235938 (-1 - 185115)
    >> rsync error: protocol incompatibility (code 2) at hlink.c(488)
    >> [generator=3.0.3]
    >>

    > That looks like some kind of text message getting in the way of the
    > protocol, since the number turns into the string "bin".
    >
    > ..wayne..

  6. Re: Problem using rsync for backing up on to a NAS

    On Sat, 2008-09-06 at 08:22 -0700, Wayne Davison wrote:
    > On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 04:43:29PM +0200, Thomas Ebert wrote:
    > > rsync: stat
    > > "/home/thomas/DiskStation/Thomas/backup/molungus-root/2008-08-25/usr/share/terminfo/L/LFT-PC850"
    > > failed: No such file or directory (2)
    > > usr/share/terminfo/l/lft => usr/share/terminfo/l/lft-pc850
    > > rsync: link
    > > "/home/thomas/DiskStation/Thomas/backup/molungus-root/2008-08-25/usr/share/terminfo/L/LFT-PC850"
    > > => usr/share/terminfo/l/lft-pc850 failed: File exists (17)

    > This indicates that your filesystem is not behaving correctly, since it
    > is returning conflicting results to rsync. One of your pastebin errors
    > from an earlier email also listed an NFS error with a mount going stale,
    > which is something that you'd need to fix outside of rsync.
    >
    > > File index not found: 7235938 (-1 - 185115)
    > > rsync error: protocol incompatibility (code 2) at hlink.c(488)
    > > [generator=3.0.3]

    > That looks like some kind of text message getting in the way of the
    > protocol, since the number turns into the string "bin".

    Wayne, I am not convinced at this point that the problem is entirely the
    filesystem's fault as opposed to rsync's. It's possible that odd
    behavior in the filesystem is triggering an improperly handled case in
    rsync. The "bin" is harder to explain as an external insertion than the
    "Kill" we saw earlier; it could be rsync's own data that is
    misinterpreted as a file index after the protocol gets out of whack.
    I'm also wondering why rsync is trying to populate
    usr/share/terminfo/l/lft-pc850 from a link-dest file that differs in
    case.

    In any case, Thomas, what would help us get to the bottom of the problem
    would be if you could find the smallest rsync run that exhibits the
    problem (e.g., copying just /usr/share/terminfo) and then strace rsync
    so we can see exactly what syscalls it is issuing and how the filesystem
    is responding.

    Matt