Partial Transfer Problem - Tools

This is a discussion on Partial Transfer Problem - Tools ; I am using the command options listed below. If I set --partial or --partial-dir, I see the partial file appear as expected. However, even with --partial-dir set as you see below, the .rsync-partial directory is never created. Instead the partial ...

  1. Partial Transfer Problem

    I am using the command options listed below. If I set --partial or --partial-dir, I see the partial file appear as expected. However, even with --partial-dir set as you see below, the .rsync-partial directory is never created. Instead the partial file just appears in the directory. The bigger problem is that if I interrupt the transfer and then restart it some time later, rsync just creates a new partial file from the beginning. I have even tried stopping the daemon on the other end and restarting it. It doesn't use the already existing partial file at all, no matter what I have tried.

    The strange thing is that this only occurs on downloads. If I use the same settings as below only I change the source and destination around, both --partial and --partial-dir work as expected. My rsync version is 3.0.3. What am I doing wrong?

    "C:\Program Files\cwRsyncServer\bin\rsync.exe" ^
    --max-size=75m-1 ^
    --recursive ^
    --times ^
    --partial-dir=.rsync-partial ^
    --timeout=160 ^
    --contimeout=160 ^
    --log-file=./rsync.log ^
    --delete ^
    --include=*.zip ^
    --exclude=/*.* ^
    --progress ^
    10.1.1.1::Sync/SyncDir ^
    /cygdrive/e/SyncDir

    Thank you in advance.

    - Kyle

  2. Re: Partial Transfer Problem

    On Thu, 2008-08-21 at 13:05 -0500, lists@trcintl.com wrote:
    > I am using the command options listed below. If I set --partial or
    > --partial-dir, I see the partial file appear as expected. However,
    > even with --partial-dir set as you see below, the .rsync-partial
    > directory is never created. Instead the partial file just appears in
    > the directory. The bigger problem is that if I interrupt the transfer
    > and then restart it some time later, rsync just creates a new partial
    > file from the beginning. I have even tried stopping the daemon on the
    > other end and restarting it. It doesn't use the already existing
    > partial file at all, no matter what I have tried.

    The receiving rsync first creates a temporary file in the destination
    directory with a name in the format ".foo.XXXXXX", where "foo"
    represents the name of the source file. Only when rsync is interrupted
    does it convert the temporary file to a partial file named exactly "foo"
    and placed in a --partial-dir if one is specified.

    Perhaps the file you see is really a temporary file, not a partial file,
    and the receiving rsync is dying in such a way that it doesn't have a
    chance to store the temporary file as a partial file. Rsync reuses only
    partial files, not temporary files, so this would explain rsync's
    failure to reuse the transferred data on the next run. To confirm (or
    refute) this idea, what is the name of the file that appears in the
    destination? And what were the last few lines of output from rsync
    before it exited, leaving the file behind?

    Matt

+ Reply to Thread