rsync --delete problem with accent characters on Mac OS X HFS - Tools

This is a discussion on rsync --delete problem with accent characters on Mac OS X HFS - Tools ; Hello, I would like to sync my Linux firewall to my Mac OS X. The Linux is a Debian 4.0 with ext3 filesystem (UTF-8) $ rsync --version rsync version 3.0.2 protocol version 30 The Mac OS X is a 10.5 ...

  1. rsync --delete problem with accent characters on Mac OS X HFS

    Hello,

    I would like to sync my Linux firewall to my Mac OS X.

    The Linux is a Debian 4.0 with ext3 filesystem (UTF-8)
    $ rsync --version
    rsync version 3.0.2 protocol version 30

    The Mac OS X is a 10.5 Leopard with HFS+ (UTF-8)
    $ /sw/bin/rsync --version
    rsync version 3.0.3 protocol version 30
    (fink version)

    I have many accents in my filenames:
    $ ls -l | tee filelist
    total 12
    -rw-r----- 1 tamas users 3 2008-08-19 14:19 rvztr tkrfrgp.rtf
    -rw-r----- 1 tamas users 4 2008-08-19 14:19 let.txt
    -rw-r----- 1 tamas users 0 2008-08-20 00:00 filelist
    -rw-r----- 1 tamas users 5 2008-08-19 14:19 krte.rtf
    $ file filelist
    filelist: UTF-8 Unicode text

    The first sync:
    $ /sw/bin/rsync --archive --update --verbose --delete firewall:teszt .
    receiving incremental file list
    teszt/
    teszt/filelist
    teszt/krte.rtf
    teszt/rvztr tkrfrgp.rtf
    teszt/let.txt

    sent 91 bytes received 601 bytes 461.33 bytes/sec
    total size is 263 speedup is 0.38
    $ ls -l teszt/ | tee filelist-on-macosx
    total 32
    -rw-r----- 1 tamas staff 3 Aug 19 14:19 rvztr tkrfrgp.rtf
    -rw-r----- 1 tamas staff 4 Aug 19 14:19 let.txt
    -rw-r----- 1 tamas staff 251 Aug 20 00:00 filelist
    -rw-r----- 1 tamas staff 5 Aug 19 14:19 krte.rtf
    urbanit-wlan:~/temp$ file filelist-on-macosx
    filelist-on-macosx: UTF-8 Unicode text

    The second sync:
    $ /sw/bin/rsync --archive --update --verbose --delete firewall:teszt .
    receiving incremental file list
    deleting teszt/krte.rtf
    deleting teszt/let.txt
    deleting teszt/rvztr tkrfrgp.rtf
    teszt/krte.rtf
    teszt/rvztr tkrfrgp.rtf
    teszt/let.txt

    sent 69 bytes received 304 bytes 248.67 bytes/sec
    total size is 263 speedup is 0.71

    The rsync deletes my files with accents and download it again. (it
    doesn't delete the 'filelist' file)
    It's really annoying if you have many big files with accents.

    I try the same config with Mac OS X Tiger and Leopard with UFS (Unix
    Filesystem) and it works correctly.
    The main problem with the UFS is the 4 GB maximum file size limit, so
    I can't use UFS fs on my backup partition.
    It works over SMBFS protocol (aka local file sync) but Samba destroys
    my softlinks.

    I tried with ZFS (as a local fs) and it shows the same problem.
    I tried it over NFS and the problem remain.

    Please help me to solve this problem!

    Best regards,

    Tamas Komaromi
    from Hungary--

  2. Re: rsync --delete problem with accent characters on Mac OS X HFS

    On Wed, 2008-08-20 at 00:20 +0200, Komáromi Tamás wrote:
    > I would like to sync my Linux firewall to my Mac OS X.

    > The rsync deletes my files with accents and download it again.

    > $ /sw/bin/rsync --archive --update --verbose --delete firewall:teszt .
    > receiving incremental file list
    > deleting teszt/körte.rtf
    > deleting teszt/élet.txt
    > deleting teszt/árv*ztűrő tükörfúrógép.rtf
    > teszt/körte.rtf
    > teszt/árv*ztűrő tükörfúrógép..rtf
    > teszt/élet.txt

    This is probably a result of the Mac filesystem's infamous behavior of
    automatically decomposing UTF-8 characters in filenames, which is
    mentioned in the rsync FAQ:

    http://rsync.samba.org/FAQ.html#2

    To fix it on a pull, pass --iconv=UTF8-MAC,UTF-8 .

    Matt

+ Reply to Thread