rsync hangs after aborting a process - Tools

This is a discussion on rsync hangs after aborting a process - Tools ; Greetings. In testing an rsync backup script I'd created, I made a mistake and aborted the running script with a ctrl-C keyboard interrupt. The command that was running at the time was as follows: ${RSYNC_CMD} -aNHAXx --protect-args --fileflags --force-change --rsync-path="/usr/local/bin/rsync" ...

  1. rsync hangs after aborting a process

    Greetings. In testing an rsync backup script I'd created, I made a mistake
    and aborted the running script with a ctrl-C keyboard interrupt. The
    command that was running at the time was as follows:

    ${RSYNC_CMD} -aNHAXx --protect-args --fileflags --force-change
    --rsync-path="/usr/local/bin/rsync" @:${CPY_SRC}
    ${CPY_DEST}

    The expected data transfer was somewhere in the range of 150GB, but all in
    small-to-medium sized text files and images. The transfer was aborted after
    approximately 10GB of files were transferred.

    Now, whenever I try to run the same script, rsync hangs. No data is
    transferred. I can stop the process with the same keyboard interrupt, and I
    get the following message:

    Killed by signal 2.
    rsync error: unexplained error (code 255) at rsync.c(597) [receiver=3.0.3]

    If i try running the command with a few --verbose flags, I see this:

    receiving file list ...
    [receiver] expand file_list pointer array to 262144 bytes, did move
    [sender] expand file_list pointer array to 262144 bytes, did move
    [receiver] expand file_list pointer array to 524288 bytes, did move
    [sender] expand file_list pointer array to 524288 bytes, did move
    [receiver] expand file_list pointer array to 1048576 bytes, did move
    [sender] expand file_list pointer array to 1048576 bytes, did move
    [receiver] expand file_list pointer array to 2097152 bytes, did move
    [sender] expand file_list pointer array to 2097152 bytes, did move
    [receiver] expand file_list pointer array to 4194304 bytes, did move
    [sender] expand file_list pointer array to 4194304 bytes, did move

    I'm pretty much at a loss to explain what is happening here, or how to fix
    it. Searches on google and here in this forum have not brought up any
    useful results, although I admit it might be because I have no idea what to
    call the problem. Anyone have any clever ideas, and great solutions?

    More info:
    both machines are OS X. source is OS X Server 10.4.11, destination is OS
    X 10.5.4
    both machines are running a hand-built rsync v.3.0.3, since the rsync that
    ships with OS X isn't really
    good enough

    Thanks in advance for any thoughts you might have

    Cris

  2. Re: rsync hangs after aborting a process

    On Mon, 2008-08-18 at 20:54 -0700, cewing wrote:
    > ${RSYNC_CMD} -aNHAXx --protect-args --fileflags --force-change
    > --rsync-path="/usr/local/bin/rsync" @:${CPY_SRC}
    > ${CPY_DEST}

    > Now, whenever I try to run the same script, rsync hangs. No data is
    > transferred. I can stop the process with the same keyboard interrupt, and I
    > get the following message:
    >
    > Killed by signal 2.
    > rsync error: unexplained error (code 255) at rsync.c(597) [receiver=3.0..3]
    >
    > If i try running the command with a few --verbose flags, I see this:
    >
    > receiving file list ...
    > [receiver] expand file_list pointer array to 262144 bytes, did move
    > [sender] expand file_list pointer array to 262144 bytes, did move
    > [receiver] expand file_list pointer array to 524288 bytes, did move
    > [sender] expand file_list pointer array to 524288 bytes, did move
    > [receiver] expand file_list pointer array to 1048576 bytes, did move
    > [sender] expand file_list pointer array to 1048576 bytes, did move
    > [receiver] expand file_list pointer array to 2097152 bytes, did move
    > [sender] expand file_list pointer array to 2097152 bytes, did move
    > [receiver] expand file_list pointer array to 4194304 bytes, did move
    > [sender] expand file_list pointer array to 4194304 bytes, did move

    Is rsync hanging or just receiving an enormous non-incremental file list
    from the remote machine? Check if the remote rsync process is accessing
    the disk.

    With rsync 3.0.3 on both sides, I'm surprised that rsync isn't using
    incremental recursion (and printing "receiving incremental file list"
    instead of "receiving file list ..."). You might try removing some
    options to see which one is disabling incremental recursion.

    Matt

  3. Re: rsync hangs after aborting a process

    Matt McCutchen-7 wrote:

    > On Mon, 2008-08-18 at 20:54 -0700, cewing wrote:
    >> ${RSYNC_CMD} -aNHAXx --protect-args --fileflags --force-change
    >> --rsync-path="/usr/local/bin/rsync" @:${CPY_SRC}
    >> ${CPY_DEST}

    >> Now, whenever I try to run the same script, rsync hangs.

    > Is rsync hanging or just receiving an enormous non-incremental file list
    > from the remote machine? Check if the remote rsync process is accessing
    > the disk.

    It appears you are right. The scheduled job I had set up for overnight ran
    and worked. It must be that for some reason incremental recursion is
    disabled. Building the file list for the 125GB of data the job transferred
    must just take an inordinately long time.

    Matt McCutchen-7 wrote:

    > With rsync 3.0.3 on both sides, I'm surprised that rsync isn't using
    > incremental recursion (and printing "receiving incremental file list"
    > instead of "receiving file list ..."). You might try removing some
    > options to see which one is disabling incremental recursion.

    I'll give this a shot. Thanks for the ideas.