generating and using ssh keys with rsync - Tools

This is a discussion on generating and using ssh keys with rsync - Tools ; I'm having troubles generating and using keys with rsync over ssh. The server I'm backing up to has a different name and IP internally than is seen by the external source machine running rsync. How do I set up the ...

  1. generating and using ssh keys with rsync

    I'm having troubles generating and using keys with rsync over ssh. The
    server I'm backing up to has a different name and IP internally than
    is seen by the external source machine running rsync. How do I set up
    the keys in this case?

    tamara

  2. Re: generating and using ssh keys with rsync

    On Mon, 2008-08-18 at 17:26 -0700, Tamara Temple wrote:
    > I'm having troubles generating and using keys with rsync over ssh. The
    > server I'm backing up to has a different name and IP internally than
    > is seen by the external source machine running rsync. How do I set up
    > the keys in this case?

    First check that you can run a remote command over ssh using a manually
    entered password:

    ssh USER@REMOTEHOST echo foo

    Then you just need to add the contents of the client user's
    ~/.ssh/id*.pub to the remote user's ~/.ssh/authorized_keys file.
    There's a program "ssh-copy-id" that will do this for you. The
    public-key authentication itself doesn't care about hostnames or IP
    addresses, so your special setup should not present a problem here.

    Matt

  3. Re: generating and using ssh keys with rsync

    I don't have a program called "ssh-copy-id" on my system....

    I scp'd the ~/.ssh/id_rsa.pub file from the local machine to the
    remote machine, appended it to ~/.ssh/authorized_keys on the remote
    machine, and it's still asking for a password whenever i ssh to the
    remote machine.

    On Aug 19, 2008, at 8:25 AM, Matt McCutchen wrote:

    > On Mon, 2008-08-18 at 17:26 -0700, Tamara Temple wrote:
    >> I'm having troubles generating and using keys with rsync over ssh.
    >> The
    >> server I'm backing up to has a different name and IP internally than
    >> is seen by the external source machine running rsync. How do I set up
    >> the keys in this case?

    > First check that you can run a remote command over ssh using a
    > manually
    > entered password:
    >
    > ssh USER@REMOTEHOST echo foo
    >
    > Then you just need to add the contents of the client user's
    > ~/.ssh/id*.pub to the remote user's ~/.ssh/authorized_keys file.
    > There's a program "ssh-copy-id" that will do this for you. The
    > public-key authentication itself doesn't care about hostnames or IP
    > addresses, so your special setup should not present a problem here.
    >
    > Matt

    Tamara Temple
    --- aka tamouse__
    tamara@tamaratemple.com

    "May you never see a stranger's face in the mirror"

  4. Re: generating and using ssh keys with rsync

    On Tue, 2008-08-19 at 11:59 -0700, Tamara Temple wrote:
    > I don't have a program called "ssh-copy-id" on my system....
    >
    > I scp'd the ~/.ssh/id_rsa.pub file from the local machine to the
    > remote machine, appended it to ~/.ssh/authorized_keys on the remote
    > machine, and it's still asking for a password whenever i ssh to the
    > remote machine.

    If the problem is not specific to rsync, refer to the ssh documentation
    for possible ways to debug it, or ask the openssh people.

    Matt

  5. Re: generating and using ssh keys with rsync

    On 19.08.2008 11:59, Tamara Temple wrote:
    > I don't have a program called "ssh-copy-id" on my system....
    >
    > I scp'd the ~/.ssh/id_rsa.pub file from the local machine to the remote
    > machine, appended it to ~/.ssh/authorized_keys on the remote machine, and
    > it's still asking for a password whenever i ssh to the remote machine.

    My guess would be that you stumble over:
    StrictModes

    man sshd_config

    The reason behind StrictModes is that if ANY part of the path up to
    authorized_keys is world writable it is "Card blanche" for ANYBODY to
    put ANYTHING into that file.

    Bis denn