Re: Can the rsync password be automated? - Tools

This is a discussion on Re: Can the rsync password be automated? - Tools ; Shane Uys wrote: > > Is there a way to automate the rsync password or maybe disable? I am > currently running rsync from a Windows command prompt and would like > to run it from a .bat file. I ...

  1. Re: Can the rsync password be automated?

    Shane Uys wrote:

    > Is there a way to automate the rsync password or maybe disable? I am
    > currently running rsync from a Windows command prompt and would like
    > to run it from a .bat file. I have read through the config man pages
    > but not sure if my ssh_config file is even being used. I tried
    > passwordauthentication = no but it still asked for password. I have
    > seen a option for --password-file= but I believe this does not apply
    > in that Im using ssh instead of daemon. I am using copssh and
    > cwrsync on two Windows 2003 servers over the internet. Here is the
    > command line used that transfers a single file. Rsync e ssh file1.x
    > user@server: followed by the password prompt.
    >
    > Thanks, Shane

    The official and recommended way of solving this issue is to perform
    public key authentication with the ssh server. You are right that the
    --password-file option does not work when running rsync over ssh. Public
    key authentication solves your problem, and does not significantly
    reduce the security of your system.

    There is another option, but only go that route if you have tried
    setting up public key authentication and failed for a reason over which
    you have no control. If your server supports public key authentication,
    do not continue to the next option. Only consider it if the
    administrator for the server to which you want to connect has disabled
    public key authentication and cannot be persuaded to change her mind.

    There is a tool called "sshpass". It is available at
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/sshpass/. Read about it at
    http://www.debianadmin.com/sshpass-n...ntication.html

    Shachar

  2. RE: Can the rsync password be automated?

    Hey Guys, This works great. Thanks a lot.