Re: Rsync Auto Resume - Tools

This is a discussion on Re: Rsync Auto Resume - Tools ; On Wed, 2008-08-13 at 13:28 -0500, Shane Uys wrote: > I am trying to copy a 5GB file over the internet with two Win2003 > servers. The internet on ServerA occasionally drops the connection and > rsync terminates with error ...

  1. Re: Rsync Auto Resume

    On Wed, 2008-08-13 at 13:28 -0500, Shane Uys wrote:
    > I am trying to copy a 5GB file over the internet with two Win2003
    > servers. The internet on ServerA occasionally drops the connection and
    > rsync terminates with error “connection reset by peer”. Is there a
    > way to keep alive, extend timeout or auto resume transfer? I tried
    > using the --partial but it just starts over with another partial.

    --partial does allow the receiver to use the already transmitted data in
    the delta-transfer algorithm on the next run, avoiding the need to send
    it over the network again, but I guess the disk I/O of rewriting that
    data to the new temporary file is the problem. Try --partial --append;
    the --append option tells rsync to make the (correct) assumption that
    the destination file left by --partial matches the beginning of the
    source file and just append to the existing file.

    Matt

  2. RE: Rsync Auto Resume

    On Wed, 2008-08-13 at 23:53 -0500, Shane Uys wrote:
    > Is there any option for auto resume? I tried --timeout=1000 but it
    > still terminates after 60s (when the internet drops).

    No. If the OS tells rsync that its network connection has broken, there
    is no way rsync can reestablish the connection, so it exits. If you
    want to stop the connection from breaking, you might need to raise a TCP
    timeout (I'm not familiar with this) or tunnel rsync through another
    tool that maintains a virtual connection across network disruptions.
    The rsync timeout is designed to make rsync exit when the connection (or
    the remote process) becomes unresponsive, even if the OS doesn't
    officially break the connection; it has nothing to do with preventing
    the connection from breaking.

    Another option would be to write a shell loop that runs rsync repeatedly
    until it exits other than with a "connection reset by peer" error.

    Matt

  3. RE: Rsync Auto Resume

    I don't have programming experience except for a little in DOS commands.
    Is there something simple you have in mind for a shell loop? Thanks.