Windows client - Tools

This is a discussion on Windows client - Tools ; I know you guys hate questions like this, but has anyone had experience with a particular Windows client they would endorse? I need to sync some Windows boxen. I'm just looking for someone to tell me they're using X and ...

  1. Windows client

    I know you guys hate questions like this, but has anyone had experience
    with a particular Windows client they would endorse?

    I need to sync some Windows boxen. I'm just looking for someone to tell
    me they're using X and happy.

    --

    Jason A Nunnelley
    President Tech Anything, Inc.

    1 888 846 4109 Fax
    1 256 962 0290 Voice

    OneBigBook[tm], OneBigBrand[tm], OneBigBiz[tm], and OneBigShow[tm] are
    services provided by Tech Anything, Inc.

  2. MIME-Version:Content-Type:Message-ID:In-Reply-To:References; b=3v6KTxzcAEN2exwPwVkQ+xmv/rApPgu9zlY19ieTco8JBATz2vgJ+IlpXaaBv2plepMZclFXpRE dRXk0d3/NzA3apMhgeKY2bsJwU+BO2TSz9g9kBrB3YpfhJ/fEV3zrSFGnf93F7XfM3lW8qSkPcQfdW5oh9+occx+tVgye0Ck=

    I use cwrsync on XP Pro sp3 and 2003 R2 Standard server SP2 and they work
    fine (bar the obvious cygwin limitations).

    --
    Stuart Halliday

    > I know you guys hate questions like this, but has anyone had experience
    > with a particular Windows client they would endorse?
    >
    > I need to sync some Windows boxen. I'm just looking for someone to
    > tell
    > me they're using X and happy.

    This email is the property of ECS Technology Ltd.
    This company is registered in Scotland with company number 212513.
    VAT registered GB 761 7456 12
    http://www.ecs-tech.com/

  3. Re: Windows client

    On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 2:32 PM, Jason A. Nunnelley wrote:
    > I know you guys hate questions like this, but has anyone had experience with
    > a particular Windows client they would endorse?
    >
    > I need to sync some Windows boxen. I'm just looking for someone to tell me
    > they're using X and happy.

    I took the following three files from cwrsync: cygiconv-2.dll,
    cygwin1.dll, rsync.exe, and it works (almost) OK.

    You need to set
    set CYGWIN=nontsec
    else binaries don't work *at all*, and it has serious issues with
    uppercase letters in file & folder names, as well as with spaces,
    sometimes. You need to use /cygdrive/c/... instead of C: if you want
    to use global paths, but well ... it serves our needs, at least
    approximately. I doubt that any other client behaves much better in
    that respect, and most hackers use unix, so windows support is laying
    a bit behind.

    Mojca

  4. MIME-Version:Content-Type:Message-ID:In-Reply-To:References; b=t2hU/rXPxAfeZQOd2PRo2jwEbDwDd79t6q8ct/t2kxed1Muh3+8zzHE9Dswboc02kZSU3cG/RtK6PjYJH6OVtRm5gVX0o4xpq3NEVZSfASPkbRyuWY+5m2mtL6 TeYyIexZFIhstDubOdg8tVnv45DKAFhH/v1ZiDNddRtEWOO4E=

    > and it has serious issues with
    > uppercase letters in file & folder names, as well as with spaces,
    > sometimes.

    It does?

    I've used cwrsync for years.
    Never noticed a problem except with _cygwin_ issues of path length and
    some international characters. But this is due to cygwin trying to support
    Window 98 as I understand it.

    Nothing to do with cwrsync last time I heard.

    I copy 50-100GB a day with Rsync on 2003 and XP pro machines.

    --
    Stuart Halliday

    This email is the property of ECS Technology Ltd.
    This company is registered in Scotland with company number 212513.
    VAT registered GB 761 7456 12
    http://www.ecs-tech.com/

  5. Re: Windows client

    On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 11:44 AM, Stuart Halliday wrote:
    >> and it has serious issues with
    >> uppercase letters in file & folder names, as well as with spaces,
    >> sometimes.

    > It does?

    I had numerous problems with that.
    rsync -av rsync://remote-location /cygdrive/c/Temp
    (not to mention "Documents and Settings") failed completely.

    There's a copy of one of my old posts to this mailing list, but as I
    understand, most developers use unix, and most windows users have
    never heard about rsync.

    (Any volunteer to fix that?

    > I've used cwrsync for years.
    > Never noticed a problem except with _cygwin_ issues of path length and
    > some international characters. But this is due to cygwin trying to support
    > Window 98 as I understand it.
    >
    > Nothing to do with cwrsync last time I heard.
    >
    > I copy 50-100GB a day with Rsync on 2003 and XP pro machines.

    We don't have any uppercase folders, and had to fix the code to use
    relative paths instead, so that does the trick in 99% of cases, but
    it's still a pain sometimes.

    Anyhow: this should not scarry the initial poster. Yes, cwrsync works
    fine in general. Some border cases should not scary you, and don't
    forget to disable "NT security" (cygwin=noNTsec) or chmod the files
    afterwards.

    Mojca

    ----------
    My older post with no reply:

    Hello,

    I'm using cwrsync. After a long time of trying to figure out what went
    wrong, I have spotted that
    cd Uppercase
    rsync -av rsync://remote/files test
    works OK,
    rsync -av rsync://remote/files /cygdrive/c/lowercase/test
    works OK,
    rsync -av rsync://remote/files /cygdrive/c/Uppercase/test
    works if remote doesn't include any subfolders, but
    rsync -av rsync://remote/files /cygdrive/c/Uppercase/test
    fails in general with something like

    rsync: mkdir "/cygdrive/c/Uppercase/test/a"
    failed: No such file or directory (2)

    The site that has given me the right hint (although not the right
    solution - to reformat the disk) was this one:
    http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/lin...directory.html

    Citing the relevant conclusion from that page:

    #################################
    # One of the errors:
    rsync: mkstemp "/media/...snip.../Tex/ANIM/.0047.LXm6rG" failed: No
    such file or directory (2)

    # The original:
    $ ls -a /home/...snip.../Tex/
    .... ANIM ...
    $ ls -a /home/...snip.../Tex/ANIM/
    # lots of files are listed

    # The copy:
    $ ls -a /media/...snip.../Tex/
    .... anim ...
    $ ls -a /media/...snip.../Tex/anim/
    .. ..
    #################################

    Is it possible to fix that behaviour?

    (The second problem is that I have no idea how to compile rsync on
    windows, so even if the source is fixed, I still need to get the
    binaries from somewhere.)

    Thanks a lot,
    Mojca

  6. MIME-Version:Content-Type:Message-ID:In-Reply-To:References; b=1+x5e7fOjeA2jwI6GOSE5mQpndjg9dA0SX/ffu21VV4diD9vd7liEX1wM+g6W8Pr3jzPPCxF2xbHYO9jTJ2cy 1DWoeyP1TrLMN55N/lEpzjHmdDqQ9oh01FcceUntIYOKQf6LEflm8gvCzxrJElgq/SJJLtc2srnT12fNu6W59g=

    > On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 11:44 AM, Stuart Halliday wrote:
    > >> and it has serious issues with
    > >> uppercase letters in file & folder names, as well as with spaces,
    > >> sometimes.

    > > It does?

    > I had numerous problems with that.
    > rsync -av rsync://remote-location /cygdrive/c/Temp
    > (not to mention "Documents and Settings") failed completely.

    Odd.

    I don't usually do remote to local. So I set one up to give it a try.

    I find I can easily copy all files/folders with uppercase and with spaces.

    I just did:

    C:\cwrsync\bin\rsync -zav -P --delete user@myurl.dom::testingtemp/
    /cygdrive/c/testtemp

    It copied the remote XP folder within Rsync label testingtemp called "THIS
    IS A SPACE FILLED UPPER CASE FOLDER" and its contents to my local PC.

    I renamed various remote folders to upper case and put spaces in names
    within this folder.

    I also did the command

    C:\cwrsync\bin\rsync -zav -P --delete
    stuarth@home.longleat83.co.uk::testtemp/FRED/ /cygdrive/c/testtemp/FRED

    All were copied 100%

    I've never used the syntax :

    "rsync -av rsync://remote/files /cygdrive/c/"

    So maybe that is bugged?

    P.S.
    Please do not CC me with replies. It just clutters up my inbox with
    duplicate email. Thanks.

    --
    Stuart Halliday

    This email is the property of ECS Technology Ltd.
    This company is registered in Scotland with company number 212513.
    VAT registered GB 761 7456 12
    http://www.ecs-tech.com/

  7. Re: (CCs and duplicate email)

    On Thu, 2008-08-14 at 13:20 +0100, Stuart Halliday wrote:
    > Please do not CC me with replies. It just clutters up my inbox with
    > duplicate email.

    Stuart,

    This was discussed before:

    http://lists.samba.org/archive/rsync...ch/020469.html

    The "nodupes" feature of Mailman is supposed to prevent duplicate
    emails. If it isn't working in your case, we should try to fix it
    instead of forcing everyone to remember to not CC you. If your
    subscription address still differs in case from the "From" address on
    your outgoing mail (as Wayne said), try changing it to match exactly.

    By way of a test, I subscribed testbox@mattmccutchen.net to the rsync
    list and will be checking whether it gets a duplicate of this message
    due to the case-differing "Cc" of TestBox@mattmccutchen.net .

    Matt

  8. Re: (CCs and duplicate email)

    On Thu, 2008-08-14 at 12:45 -0400, Matt McCutchen wrote:
    > By way of a test, I subscribed testbox@mattmccutchen.net to the rsync
    > list and will be checking whether it gets a duplicate of this message
    > due to the case-differing "Cc" of TestBox@mattmccutchen.net .

    Yes, the "nodupes" check appears to be case sensitive.

    Matt

  9. RE: Windows client

    I am using the current installation of cygwin on the server end and on about
    30 client machines - appears to be a 2.x version of rsync. All appears to
    be working fine with the exception of files in the 9GB+ range in size - I
    keep getting an error relating to the files not being the same - I don't
    have the exact message handy. I've been looking for a windows version of
    rsync 3.x - probably have to compile it directly.

    > I know you guys hate questions like this, but has anyone had experience
    > with a particular Windows client they would endorse?
    >
    > I need to sync some Windows boxen. I'm just looking for someone to
    > tell
    > me they're using X and happy.

    This email is the property of ECS Technology Ltd.
    This company is registered in Scotland with company number 212513.
    VAT registered GB 761 7456 12
    http://www.ecs-tech.com/

    6:43 AM

  10. Re: Windows client

    On Fri, 2008-08-15 at 11:15 -0400, Doug Lochart wrote:
    > Our biggest issues with using the windows client and server
    > combination was with fragmentation.

    That should be helped by the --preallocate option available in recent
    versions of cwRsync.

    Matt

  11. MIME-Version:Content-Type:Message-ID:In-Reply-To:References; b=SKkZzqxJWgUaZ8TDeizJwncH59w/VAPNWbaw1gW+7X/3mXviS7fGMxLiBtR6udu8BYI5BxzEj0otuCNVfiTyC0BL7EohD Tk35p1URFRBYbu20kAB/H/eNCt631zvBoa6qLa5ZZ/2zHOhklxzp6I+is1O0nJEL7t+/WAWfDVUHpY=

    Google Cwrsync.
    V3 is there as well as a new experiment build of Cygwin 1.7 which finally
    supports long filenames/paths under ntfs and UTF-8 filenames at last!

    http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...ease_id=615606

    --
    Stuart Halliday

    > I am using the current installation of cygwin on the server end and on
    > about
    > 30 client machines - appears to be a 2.x version of rsync. All appears
    > be working fine with the exception of files in the 9GB+ range in size -
    > keep getting an error relating to the files not being the same - I
    > don't
    > have the exact message handy. I've been looking for a windows version
    > of
    > rsync 3.x - probably have to compile it directly.

    > > I know you guys hate questions like this, but has anyone had

    > experience
    > > with a particular Windows client they would endorse?
    > >
    > > I need to sync some Windows boxen. I'm just looking for someone to
    > > tell
    > > me they're using X and happy.

    > This email is the property of ECS Technology Ltd.
    > This company is registered in Scotland with company number 212513.
    > VAT registered GB 761 7456 12
    > http://www.ecs-tech.com/
    >

    > --
    > Please use reply-all for most replies to avoid omitting the mailing
    > list.
    > Checked by AVG.
    > 8/13/2008
    > 6:43 AM
    >

    > --
    > Please use reply-all for most replies to avoid omitting the mailing
    > list.
    > Before posting, read:

    This email is the property of ECS Technology Ltd.
    This company is registered in Scotland with company number 212513.
    VAT registered GB 761 7456 12
    http://www.ecs-tech.com/

  12. Re: Windows client

    Stuart Halliday wrote:
    > Google Cwrsync.
    > V3 is there as well as a new experiment build of Cygwin 1.7 which finally
    > supports long filenames/paths under ntfs and UTF-8 filenames at last!
    >
    > http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...ease_id=615606

    Is anyone using this in earnest at all?

    I got it working in a test environment from a solaris unix server
    requesting files from an windows xp machine.

    I also managed to get it working using ssh

    I now need to improve on the base setting stuff by putting some security
    in and was wondering what people had done? Currently i can rsync or
    actually ssh to the windows machine once i have ssh and rsync running as
    services and i dont want the ability for all the windows file system to
    be seen or traversed.

    Cheers