Problems connecting to remote rsync daemon - Tools

This is a discussion on Problems connecting to remote rsync daemon - Tools ; This is a newbie question. I've looked through the archives and haven't found an answer to this. I set up rsync in inetd.conf to respond on request. When I give a remote request to the machine, I get the following ...

  1. Problems connecting to remote rsync daemon

    This is a newbie question. I've looked through the archives and
    haven't found an answer to this.

    I set up rsync in inetd.conf to respond on request. When I give a
    remote request to the machine, I get the following error:

    paladin:~ tamara$ rsync -avr /Volumes/Music/Pictures/ rsync://
    tamara@server/Pictures/
    rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [sender]
    rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at /
    SourceCache/rsync/rsync-35.2/rsync/io.c(452) [sender=2.6.9]
    paladin:~ tamara$

    paladin, the local machine is a macbook running os x 10.5.4 and server
    is Dell running ubuntu server 8.04.

    there is no rsyncd.conf file.

    Tamara

  2. Re: Problems connecting to remote rsync daemon

    On Sun, 2008-08-10 at 21:20 -0700, Tamara Temple wrote:
    > I set up rsync in inetd.conf to respond on request. When I give a
    > remote request to the machine, I get the following error:
    >
    > paladin:~ tamara$ rsync -avr /Volumes/Music/Pictures/ rsync://
    > tamara@server/Pictures/
    > rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [sender]
    > rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at /
    > SourceCache/rsync/rsync-35.2/rsync/io.c(452) [sender=2.6.9]
    > paladin:~ tamara$

    > there is no rsyncd.conf file.

    That would be the problem. An rsync daemon needs a configuration file;
    it will look for the file at /etc/rsyncd.conf unless you specify a
    different path with a --config option in the command inetd is running.

    In general, you should check the server's syslog (/var/log/messages) or
    any "log file" you specified in rsyncd.conf for error messages related
    to the daemon. Most likely, there is a message in the syslog now
    telling you that the daemon failed to open /etc/rsyncd.conf .

    Matt

  3. Re: Problems connecting to remote rsync daemon

    Ok, but what should be *in* the rsyncd.conf file. the man page isn't
    at all clear what should be included. I just want to do simple rsync's
    of the sort shown in the command i gave. I don't know what it means to
    set up "modules".

    Tamara Temple
    --- aka tamouse__
    tamara@tamaratemple.com

    "May you never see a stranger's face in the mirror"

    On Aug 11, 2008, at 6:02 AM, Matt McCutchen wrote:

    > On Sun, 2008-08-10 at 21:20 -0700, Tamara Temple wrote:
    >> I set up rsync in inetd.conf to respond on request. When I give a
    >> remote request to the machine, I get the following error:
    >>
    >> paladin:~ tamara$ rsync -avr /Volumes/Music/Pictures/ rsync://
    >> tamara@server/Pictures/
    >> rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far)
    >> [sender]
    >> rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at /
    >> SourceCache/rsync/rsync-35.2/rsync/io.c(452) [sender=2.6.9]
    >> paladin:~ tamara$

    >> there is no rsyncd.conf file.

    > That would be the problem. An rsync daemon needs a configuration
    > file;
    > it will look for the file at /etc/rsyncd.conf unless you specify a
    > different path with a --config option in the command inetd is running.
    >
    > In general, you should check the server's syslog (/var/log/messages)
    > or
    > any "log file" you specified in rsyncd.conf for error messages related
    > to the daemon. Most likely, there is a message in the syslog now
    > telling you that the daemon failed to open /etc/rsyncd.conf .
    >
    > Matt

  4. Re: Problems connecting to remote rsync daemon

    On Mon, 2008-08-11 at 13:44 -0700, Tamara Temple wrote:
    > Ok, but what should be *in* the rsyncd.conf file. the man page isn't
    > at all clear what should be included.

    See the rsyncd.conf(5) man page for details and examples:

    http://rsync.samba.org/ftp/rsync/rsyncd.conf.html

    > I just want to do simple rsync's
    > of the sort shown in the command i gave. I don't know what it means to
    > set up "modules".

    Maybe you would prefer to use rsync over ssh, like this:

    rsync -avr /Volumes/Music/Pictures/ tamara@server:Pictures/

    That command will ssh to user "tamara" on "server" and push files to
    Pictures/ in that user's home directory. No daemon is involved.

    Matt

+ Reply to Thread