Re: Restoring from backup, preserving uids - Tools

This is a discussion on Re: Restoring from backup, preserving uids - Tools ; On 2-Aug-2008, at 13:15, Matt McCutchen wrote: > On Sat, 2008-08-02 at 20:42 +0200, Paul Slootman wrote: >> Just a note: I'd recommend also using -H to preserve hard links. >> Traditionally a unix / linux system will have many ...

  1. Re: Restoring from backup, preserving uids

    On 2-Aug-2008, at 13:15, Matt McCutchen wrote:
    > On Sat, 2008-08-02 at 20:42 +0200, Paul Slootman wrote:
    >> Just a note: I'd recommend also using -H to preserve hard links.
    >> Traditionally a unix / linux system will have many files hard-linked
    >> (although a quick check shows less than I expected).

    > Do you know of any case in which breaking hard links makes a system
    > work
    > incorrectly (as opposed to just taking up more space)?

    I think it can. For example, on many systems, vi is a hard link to
    either nvi or vim. If you break the link, and then update, bad things
    can happen as vi will invoke an old version of vim or nvi which might
    possibly not work at all with the current libraries.

    Another problem would likely be with bash and sh, since sh is often a
    hard link to bash (at least on OS X it is). Having sh be a different
    version is probably not a Good Thing.

  2. Re: Restoring from backup, preserving uids

    On Sun, 2008-08-10 at 00:04 -0600, lewis butler wrote:
    > On 2-Aug-2008, at 13:15, Matt McCutchen wrote:
    > > Do you know of any case in which breaking hard links makes a system
    > > work
    > > incorrectly (as opposed to just taking up more space)?

    > I think it can. For example, on many systems, vi is a hard link to
    > either nvi or vim. If you break the link, and then update, bad things
    > can happen as vi will invoke an old version of vim or nvi which might
    > possibly not work at all with the current libraries.

    On my Fedora 9 system, vi and vim are different binaries and there is no
    nvi. I scanned for all multiply-linked files on the root filesystem,
    and except for some system-config-network files that I'm not using any
    more, all the links to each file came from the same RPM package, so RPM
    would presumably update the links correctly.

    > Another problem would likely be with bash and sh, since sh is often a
    > hard link to bash (at least on OS X it is). Having sh be a different
    > version is probably not a Good Thing.

    On my brother's OS X system, sh and bash are different binaries.

    Matt

  3. Re: Restoring from backup, preserving uids

    Matt McCutchen wrote:
    > > Another problem would likely be with bash and sh, since sh is often a
    > > hard link to bash (at least on OS X it is). Having sh be a different
    > > version is probably not a Good Thing.

    > On my brother's OS X system, sh and bash are different binaries.

    They're different on Ubuntu Linux too.

    -- Jamie