rsync operation times out on excluded directory - Tools

This is a discussion on rsync operation times out on excluded directory - Tools ; Hello list, I have the following problem for awhile now. A backup script is running on server Backup. Every night a complete backup of /home is made of server Server, using rsync over SSH. (rsync version 3.0.2 on Debian/Linux) Now. ...

  1. rsync operation times out on excluded directory

    Hello list,

    I have the following problem for awhile now. A backup script is running on
    server Backup. Every night a complete backup of /home is made of server Server,
    using rsync over SSH. (rsync version 3.0.2 on Debian/Linux)

    Now. There is one user, that has a NFS mount in his homedirectory on Server
    "/home/username/mnt". This user uses NFS to access his laptop's filesystem. At
    night the laptop is not connected, so the mountpoint is not accessible:

    root@server:~# mount
    10.0.0.217:/Users/username/Development on /home/username/mnt/dev (nfs)

    To prevent errors with rsync, I exclude the directory, using this option:
    --exclude=/home/username/mnt

    However, even though I exclude this directory, rsync still attempts to access it:

    2008/08/06 01:05:41 [23001] receiving file list
    2008/08/06 01:27:44 [23001] rsync: readlink "/home/username/mnt/dev" failed:
    Operation timed out (60)
    2008/08/06 01:34:57 [23001] IO error encountered -- skipping file deletion

    The manpage says that using the exclude option, will prevent it from traversing
    beneith an exclude-path.

    Since I exclude /home/username/mnt, howcome it times out on /home/username/mnt/dev?

    Is there a solution? Other than lazy-unmounting the NFS filesystem?

    --
    Rob klein Gunnewiek
    BWSS B.V. Deventer (http://www.bwss.nl)

  2. Re: rsync operation times out on excluded directory

    On Thu, Aug 07, 2008 at 10:53:34AM +0200, Rob klein Gunnewiek wrote:
    > However, even though I exclude this directory, rsync still attempts to
    > access it:

    Yes, this has come up before. The current exclude code wants to know in
    advance if the items is a directory so that it knows which rules apply
    to the name and which don't. Because of that rsync, will stat every
    file before checking to see if it is excluded. If the exclude code was
    rewritten to take a name and return two results, one for dirs and one
    for non-dirs, then the name could be excluded prior to a stat call
    anytime that the two results agreed on exclusion. I'm going to look
    into such an implementation and possibly include it in 3.1.0.

    In the meantime, there your options are: (1) exclude the parent dir
    of the mount (/home/username/mnt), which will prevent rsync from ever
    trying to stat the mount itself, (2) change the current mount to a
    symlink to a mount, and move the actual mount to a place where you can
    exclude its parent directory, or (3) create a way for the laptop-user
    to unmount that mount prior to leaving and remount after arriving.

    ...wayne..

  3. Re: rsync operation times out on excluded directory

    Wayne Davison schreef:
    > On Thu, Aug 07, 2008 at 10:53:34AM +0200, Rob klein Gunnewiek wrote:
    >> However, even though I exclude this directory, rsync still attempts to
    >> access it:

    > [..]
    >
    > In the meantime, there your options are: (1) exclude the parent dir
    > of the mount (/home/username/mnt), which will prevent rsync from ever
    > trying to stat the mount itself, (2) change the current mount to a
    > symlink to a mount, and move the actual mount to a place where you can
    > exclude its parent directory, or (3) create a way for the laptop-user
    > to unmount that mount prior to leaving and remount after arriving.

    Thanks a lot for your answer.

    After reading the man-page a few times, and many google searches, I decided to
    finally ask the question here. And as always happens to me, once I asked it, I
    find the problem. Sorry.

    The problem was that I was copying /home (rsync server:/home ...), and the
    exclude path needed to be relative to this. Newbie mistake . So, now it works,
    using: --exclude=username/mnt (instead of --exclude=/home/username/mnt). Now
    you're probably saying 'duh' ;-)

    However, I wonder why the error I am getting is: rsync: readlink
    "/home/username/mnt/dev". Why would it try calling 'readlink' on the directory?

    --
    Rob klein Gunnewiek
    BWSS B.V. Deventer (http://www.bwss.nl)
    Tel +(31) 0570-665140
    Fax +(31) 0570-665141

  4. Re: rsync operation times out on excluded directory

    On Fri, 2008-08-08 at 16:57 +0200, Rob klein Gunnewiek wrote:
    > The problem was that I was copying /home (rsync server:/home ...), and the
    > exclude path needed to be relative to this. Newbie mistake . So, now itworks,
    > using: --exclude=username/mnt (instead of --exclude=/home/username/mnt). Now
    > you're probably saying 'duh' ;-)

    --exclude=/username/mnt would be more correct, as --exclude=username/mnt
    will match any file anywhere inside /home whose path ends in
    username/mnt .

    > However, I wonder why the error I am getting is: rsync: readlink
    > "/home/username/mnt/dev". Why would it try calling 'readlink' on the directory?

    It looks like the error message is not completely accurate: a stat
    failure will also be reported as "readlink failed". The message should
    probably say "readlink_stat failed".

    Matt

+ Reply to Thread