some files could not be transferred (code 23) at main.c (1506) - Tools

This is a discussion on some files could not be transferred (code 23) at main.c (1506) - Tools ; Hi, I'm trying to rsync a fairly large chunk of data [around 350 gigs, mostly 1 gig files] between 2 hosts in separate colo facilities. Link is plenty fast, I can pull 10 megs easily. Everytime, it seems to die ...

  1. some files could not be transferred (code 23) at main.c (1506)

    Hi,

    I'm trying to rsync a fairly large chunk of data [around 350 gigs,
    mostly 1 gig files] between 2 hosts in separate colo facilities. Link
    is plenty fast, I can pull 10 megs easily.

    Everytime, it seems to die with something like this, whether I try
    rsync from the stable 2 branch or the beta 3 branch

    sent 453675 bytes received 956704928 bytes 404632.68 bytes/sec

    total size is 395589020443 speedup is 413.30

    rsync error: some files could not be transferred (code 23) at
    main.c(1506) [generator=3.0.3]

    The machine with the data is Solaris 10, the machine I want to sync
    the data is CentOS

    Any tips on how I can debug this, or what extra Info I can provide?

    THanks

    Jeff.

  2. Re: some files could not be transferred (code 23) at main.c (1506)

    On 7/11/2008, Jeff MacDonald (oss@bignose.ca) wrote:
    > I'm trying to rsync a fairly large chunk of data [around 350 gigs,
    > mostly 1 gig files] between 2 hosts in separate colo facilities. Link
    > is plenty fast, I can pull 10 megs easily.
    >
    > Everytime, it seems to die with something like this, whether I try
    > rsync from the stable 2 branch or the beta 3 branch

    With that many large files, my first guess would be not enough RAM?

    --

    Best regards,

    Charles

  3. Re: some files could not be transferred (code 23) at main.c (1506)

    Hrmmm not sure , the linux machine has 512 megs and the solaris 2
    gigs. i guess teh solaris machine has nothing to do with this tho.

    Jeff.

  4. Re: some files could not be transferred (code 23) at main.c (1506)

    On 7/11/2008 3:11 PM, Jeff MacDonald wrote:
    >>> I'm trying to rsync a fairly large chunk of data [around 350 gigs,
    >>> mostly 1 gig files] between 2 hosts in separate colo facilities. Link
    >>> is plenty fast, I can pull 10 megs easily.
    >>> Everytime, it seems to die with something like this, whether I try
    >>> rsync from the stable 2 branch or the beta 3 branch

    >> With that many large files, my first guess would be not enough RAM?

    > Hrmmm not sure , the linux machine has 512 megs and the solaris 2
    > gigs. i guess teh solaris machine has nothing to do with this tho.

    What version of rsync at each end?

    --

    Best regards,

    Charles

  5. Re: some files could not be transferred (code 23) at main.c (1506)

    On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 09:58:21AM -0300, Jeff MacDonald wrote:
    > Everytime, it seems to die with something like this [...]
    > rsync error: some files could not be transferred (code 23) at main.c(1506)

    That's not "dying", that's completing its run and letting you know that
    some files could not be transferred during the run. See the earlier
    errors that rsync output for specifics (e.g. unopenable files, etc.).

    ...wayne..

  6. Re: some files could not be transferred (code 23) at main.c (1506)

    >>> With that many large files, my first guess would be not enough RAM?

    > > Hrmmm not sure , the linux machine has 512 megs and the solaris 2
    > > gigs. i guess teh solaris machine has nothing to do with this tho.

    > What version of rsync at each end?

    I'm a bit embarrassed, I didn't read my errors close enough and it's a
    simple permission denied error.

    Thanks charles

  7. Re: some files could not be transferred (code 23) at main.c (1506)

    On 11-Jul-08, at 5:04 PM, Wayne Davison wrote:

    > On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 09:58:21AM -0300, Jeff MacDonald wrote:
    >> Everytime, it seems to die with something like this [...]
    >> rsync error: some files could not be transferred (code 23) at
    >> main.c(1506)

    > That's not "dying", that's completing its run and letting you know
    > that
    > some files could not be transferred during the run. See the earlier
    > errors that rsync output for specifics (e.g. unopenable files, etc.).
    >
    > ..wayne..

    I'm a bit embarrassed, I didn't read my errors close enough and it's a
    simple permission denied error.

    Thanks Wayne