link-dest storage saving on backup server not on usb hard drive - Tools

This is a discussion on link-dest storage saving on backup server not on usb hard drive - Tools ; I have setup rsync to backup another linux computer with the link-dest option and realized storage savings. 1st backup is 31gb, daily backups only take approx 4gb. But when I rsync with link-dest to usb external drive all backups take ...

  1. link-dest storage saving on backup server not on usb hard drive

    I have setup rsync to backup another linux computer with the link-dest option
    and realized storage savings. 1st backup is 31gb, daily backups only take
    approx 4gb. But when I rsync with link-dest to usb external drive all
    backups take up 31gb. Following is 1st the one that works and 2nd with no
    storage savings. Any ideas? Thanks, Frank

    date>/aeprodbk/bkupdate
    d=`date +%d`
    date > $d.log
    root@aebkup:/aeprodbk/$d >>$d.log
    rsync --exclude-from=/root/bkup_excludes -avz --delete -e "ssh -i
    /root/cron/aebkup-rsync-key" --link-dest=/aeprodbk/current root@aeprod:/
    /aeprodbk/$d >>$d.log
    date > /aeprodbk/$d/bkupdate
    rm -f /aeprodbk/current
    ln -s /aeprodbk/$d /aeprodbk/current

    2nd script with no storage saving
    d=`date +%d`
    dsk=/media/disk
    cd $dsk
    date > /usb$d.log
    rsync --exclude-from=/root/bkup_excludes -av --delete
    --link-dest=$dsk/current /aeprodbk/$d $dsk >> /usb$d.log
    date>$dsk/$d/bkupdate
    date>$dsk/bkupdate
    rm -f $dsk/current
    ln -s $dsk/$d $dsk/current

  2. Re: link-dest storage saving on backup server not on usb hard drive

    On Wed, 2008-06-25 at 12:50 -0700, fglos wrote:
    > I have setup rsync to backup another linux computer with the link-dest option
    > and realized storage savings. 1st backup is 31gb, daily backups only take
    > approx 4gb. But when I rsync with link-dest to usb external drive all
    > backups take up 31gb. Following is 1st the one that works and 2nd with no
    > storage savings. Any ideas? Thanks, Frank

    > rsync --exclude-from=/root/bkup_excludes -avz --delete -e "ssh -i /root/cron/aebkup-rsync-key" --link-dest=/aeprodbk/current root@aeprod:/ /aeprodbk/$d >>$d.log

    > rsync --exclude-from=/root/bkup_excludes -av --delete --link-dest=$dsk/current /aeprodbk/$d $dsk >> /usb$d.log

    The trouble is that on the second run, the file-list paths of the files
    begin with $d (since the source lacks a trailing slash), so the
    --link-dest option is looking for previous files under $dsk/current/$d .
    To fix this, add a trailing slash and adjust the destination
    correspondingly:

    ´╗┐rsync --exclude-from=/root/bkup_excludes -av --delete --link-dest=$dsk/current /aeprodbk/$d/ $dsk/$d >> /usb$d.log

    Matt

  3. Re: link-dest storage saving on backup server not on usb hard drive

    Hi,

    On 26/06/2008, fglos wrote:

    > I have setup rsync to backup another linux computer with the link-dest option
    > and realized storage savings. 1st backup is 31gb, daily backups only take
    > approx 4gb. But when I rsync with link-dest to usb external drive all
    > backups take up 31gb. Following is 1st the one that works and 2nd with no
    > storage savings. Any ideas? Thanks, Frank

    Is it possible that the external disk is formatted with a file system
    that doesn't support hard links? If it is formatted with a Linux/Unix
    fs such as ext3 it should be ok. I think NTFS should work too. But if
    it is formatted for FAT32 or some variant then you cannot create hard
    links so there can be no saving from --link-dest.

    David