Xattrs and Delete over AFP - Tools

This is a discussion on Xattrs and Delete over AFP - Tools ; Hello group, I have an OSX 10.3.9 Server that I'm trying to back up with rsync 3.0.2. Since I didn't have any luck with the 10.3.9 patch and I do have 10.4 clients, I decided to try running the backup ...

  1. Xattrs and Delete over AFP

    Hello group,

    I have an OSX 10.3.9 Server that I'm trying to back up with rsync 3.0.2.
    Since I didn't have any luck with the 10.3.9 patch and I do have 10.4 clients,
    I decided to try running the backup over AFP (Apple's file sharing protocol).
    I found a way to mount the AFP volume with root permissions and rsync 3.0.2
    works very nicely using this on the 10.4 clients, preserving xattrs and being
    good. I understand it's not the preferred method but the rsync we're using
    for 10.3.9 is version 2.6.0 and the malloc errors are killing me. When Iadd
    any of the --delete options (during, delay, or after) to the line it works for
    a while and then starts getting this:

    rsync: get_xattr_data:
    lgetxattr("Path-to-the-file","com.apple.ResourceFork",0000) failed: Bad file
    descriptor (9)

    The 0000 is different for each file.

    The rsync line I'm using is:

    rsync -aHXh --stats --progress --fileflags --crtimes --delete
    /Volumes/Source_Volume /Volumes/Local_Drive/Source_Mirror/

    Any ideas on why the delete option would cause this to happen?

    Thanks for making rsync the unbelievable tool it is.

    Mike

  2. Re: Xattrs and Delete over AFP

    On Sat, 2008-06-21 at 21:34 -0400, zodiac-meow@usa.net wrote:
    > I have an OSX 10.3.9 Server that I'm trying to back up with rsync 3.0.2.
    > Since I didn't have any luck with the 10.3.9 patch

    To be perfectly clear, do you mean you have tried Vitorio Machado's
    patch?

    http://lists.samba.org/archive/rsync...ry/020093.html

    If not, that may be worth a try.

    > When I add
    > any of the --delete options (during, delay, or after) to the line it works for
    > a while and then starts getting this:
    >
    > rsync: get_xattr_data:
    > lgetxattr("Path-to-the-file","com.apple.ResourceFork",0000) failed: Bad file
    > descriptor (9)

    This may just be an oddity with the network filesystem, but that doesn't
    explain why it would happen only with a --delete option, which shouldn't
    significantly change rsync's access pattern to the network-mounted
    source. If you ktrace the relevant rsync process with and without
    --delete, that might provide some clues about what triggers the error.

    Since the error only happens with --delete and appears to involve
    xattrs, you may be able to work around it by using two passes of rsync,
    the first with -X but not --delete and the second with --delete but not
    -X.

    Matt

+ Reply to Thread