pre/post-xfer exec not executed ? - Tools

This is a discussion on pre/post-xfer exec not executed ? - Tools ; Hi, I've got an issue since about a week and I still can't solve it after a thorough research. I've setup a rsync server on my backup host, with shares using post/pre-xfer exec options but the scripts seems not to ...

  1. pre/post-xfer exec not executed ?

    Hi,

    I've got an issue since about a week and I still can't solve it after a
    thorough research.

    I've setup a rsync server on my backup host, with shares using
    post/pre-xfer exec options but the scripts seems not to even be called :
    they should write a lockfile, and write in a logfile some information
    about the transfer request / report.

    I'm using rsync through stunnel and here's the server-side
    configuration. If someone had an idea I'd be really glad to hear it

    Thanks

    use chroot = no
    uid = rsync
    gid = rsync
    max connections = 10
    max verbosity = 10
    timeout = 600
    port = 8731
    read only = yes
    numeric ids = yes
    munge symlinks = yes
    list = no
    fake super = yes
    secrets file = /snapshots/conf/rsyncd.secrets
    hosts deny = *
    log file = /snapshots/log/rsyncd.log
    lock file = /snapshots/tmp/rsyncd.lock
    refuse options = rsync-path,rsync path

    [myhost]
    path = /snapshots/data/hosts/myhost
    comment = Sauvegardes de myhost
    hosts allow = 127.0.0.1
    read only = no
    write only = no
    ignore nonreadable = yes
    refuse options = checksum
    exclude from = /snapshots/conf/myhost.exclude
    log file = /snapshots/log/myhost.rlog
    pre-xfer exec = /snapshots/conf/pre-xfer.sh
    post-xfer exec = /snapshots/conf/post-xfer.sh
    auth users = myhost

  2. Re: pre/post-xfer exec not executed ?

    On Fri, 2008-06-20 at 17:53 +0200, Loïc wrote:
    > I've setup a rsync server on my backup host, with shares using
    > post/pre-xfer exec options but the scripts seems not to even be called :
    > they should write a lockfile, and write in a logfile some information
    > about the transfer request / report.
    >
    > I'm using rsync through stunnel and here's the server-side
    > configuration. If someone had an idea I'd be really glad to hear it

    Your rsync daemon configuration looks fine. (Incidentally, there's no
    point in refusing --rsync-path because it is a client option.) Make
    sure you are using rsync 2.6.7 or newer to support the pre/post-xfer
    exec parameters. If that isn't the problem, please post your client
    command line and the relevant parts of your stunnel configuration.

    Matt

  3. Re: pre/post-xfer exec not executed ?

    Le vendredi 20 juin 2008, vous avez écrit*:
    > Your rsync daemon configuration looks fine. (Incidentally, there's no
    > point in refusing --rsync-path because it is a client option.) Make
    > sure you are using rsync 2.6.7 or newer to support the pre/post-xfer
    > exec parameters. If that isn't the problem, please post your client
    > command line and the relevant parts of your stunnel configuration.
    >
    > Matt

    Thanks for the hint regarding rsync path I though it may be a security issue.
    I'm currently using debian's testing version (rsync version 3.0.2 protocol
    version 30) and here's the client side command line and the stunnel
    configurations.

    /usr/bin/rsync -za --stats -v /etc /root /home myhost@localhost::myhost

    # Server side :
    [rsync]
    accept = 8732
    connect = 8731

    #Client side :
    [rsync]
    accept = localhost:873
    connect = backup-host:8732

    --
    Loïc

  4. Re: pre/post-xfer exec not executed ?

    On Sun, 2008-06-22 at 18:23 +0200, Loïc wrote:
    > I'm currently using debian's testing version (rsync version 3.0.2 protocol
    > version 30) and here's the client side command line and the stunnel
    > configurations.

    All of that looks fine. Is there anything relevant in rsyncd.log? Run
    the rsync daemon under "strace -f" to see whether it is attempting to
    execute the pre-xfer and post-xfer scripts and, if so, what the outcome
    is.

    Matt

  5. Re: pre/post-xfer exec not executed ?

    Matt McCutchen a écrit :
    > All of that looks fine. Is there anything relevant in rsyncd.log? Run
    > the rsync daemon under "strace -f" to see whether it is attempting to
    > execute the pre-xfer and post-xfer scripts and, if so, what the outcome
    > is.
    >
    > Matt

    Thanks for your help, pre and post-xfer were indeed executed but
    contained errors (I totally forgot to change the logdir so they weren't
    logging anything :P). Using strace I managed to understand what happened
    and fix them.

    I'm very sorry not to have checked the scripts before. I even saw
    recently a feature request of people wanting rsync to log pre and
    post-xfer errors, and I hope this F.R. will come soon

    Thanks again for your help !

    --
    Loïc