'Invalid cross-device link' on GNU/Linux - Tools

This is a discussion on 'Invalid cross-device link' on GNU/Linux - Tools ; Hello, rsync mailing list! I am running out of space on my compact flash card and want to have rsync use the "--delete-after --delay-updates --partial-dir=/tmpfs" which is mounted as tmpfs. Once the renaming part of the rsync starts I get ...

  1. 'Invalid cross-device link' on GNU/Linux

    Hello, rsync mailing list!

    I am running out of space on my compact flash card and want to have rsync use the "--delete-after --delay-updates --partial-dir=/tmpfs" which is mounted as tmpfs. Once the renaming part of the rsync starts I get "Invalid cross-device link (18)" errors. I see this is a problem on SPARC is there a way around this with linux? Any advice would be appreciated.

    rsync version 2.6.9 protocol version 29
    linux 2.6.24 i586

    Thank you!

    --
    Ryan Rodriguez

    Astrocom Corporation
    http://www.astrocorp.com/

  2. Re: 'Invalid cross-device link' on GNU/Linux

    On Fri, 2008-06-20 at 09:16 -0500, Ryan Rodriguez wrote:
    > I am running out of space on my compact flash card and want to have
    > rsync use the "--delete-after --delay-updates --partial-dir=/tmpfs"
    > which is mounted as tmpfs. Once the renaming part of the rsync
    > starts I get "Invalid cross-device link (18)" errors.

    When you use --delay-updates, rsync renames from the --partial-dir to
    the destination, so they must be on the same filesystem. This is
    mentioned as item (2) in the man page description of --delay-updates.

    If you are running out of space, you certainly shouldn't be using
    --delay-updates, and I don't see why you would want the other options
    either. The way to avoid needing space for a temporary file is to
    specify --inplace or --temp-dir=/tmpfs, not --partial-dir/tmpfs. Also,
    consider --delete-before instead of --delete-after.

    Matt

+ Reply to Thread