rsync daemon not answering - Tools

This is a discussion on rsync daemon not answering - Tools ; Hi everyone. I have a problem: I was running rsync --daemon on a Ubuntu 6.10 linux without problems. I used it to sync our company intranet from a Windows host through deltacopy. Then I migrated my system to new hardware ...

  1. rsync daemon not answering

    Hi everyone.
    I have a problem: I was running rsync --daemon on a Ubuntu 6.10 linux
    without problems. I used it to sync our company intranet from a Windows
    host through deltacopy. Then I migrated my system to new hardware and
    installed Ubuntu 7.10 on it. I run rsync --daemon with the same
    rsyncd.conf file and its not listening to any requests. Im trying to
    sync the same directories from the same deltacopy client and its not
    working. I do tcpdump on the rsync port and i confirm that the request
    from deltacopy are coming through OK and checked my iptables OK too. But
    for some reason the daemon doesnt answer the requests.
    Any idea what should I check? What should i post here to help you help me?
    Thanks!

    Regards,
    Alex

    --
    Saludos,
    Alejandro Celery

  2. Re: rsync daemon not answering

    On Fri, 2008-06-06 at 10:02 -0300, Alejandro Celery wrote:
    > I have a problem: I was running rsync --daemon on a Ubuntu 6.10 linux
    > without problems. I used it to sync our company intranet from a Windows
    > host through deltacopy. Then I migrated my system to new hardware and
    > installed Ubuntu 7.10 on it. I run rsync --daemon with the same
    > rsyncd.conf file and it´s not listening to any requests. I´m trying to
    > sync the same directories from the same deltacopy client and it´s not
    > working. I do tcpdump on the rsync port and i confirm that the request
    > from deltacopy are coming through OK and checked my iptables OK too. But
    > for some reason the daemon doesn´t answer the requests.
    > Any idea what should I check? What should i post here to help you help me?

    Try connecting to the daemon locally by running "nc localhost PORT" on
    the daemon machine to see if the same thing happens. If the daemon
    prints "@RSYNCD: 30" or "@RSYNCD: 29", then the problem is between there
    and the client. If it doesn't print anything, then check the daemon's
    log and the syslog; the log should say something like "rsyncd version V
    starting, listening on port P".

    Matt

  3. Re: rsync daemon not answering

    Matt McCutchen escribió:
    > On Fri, 2008-06-06 at 10:02 -0300, Alejandro Celery wrote:
    >
    >> I have a problem: I was running rsync --daemon on a Ubuntu 6.10 linux
    >> without problems. I used it to sync our company intranet from a Windows
    >> host through deltacopy. Then I migrated my system to new hardware and
    >> installed Ubuntu 7.10 on it. I run rsync --daemon with the same
    >> rsyncd.conf file and it´s not listening to any requests. I´m trying to
    >> sync the same directories from the same deltacopy client and it´s not
    >> working. I do tcpdump on the rsync port and i confirm that the request
    >> from deltacopy are coming through OK and checked my iptables OK too. But
    >> for some reason the daemon doesn´t answer the requests.
    >> Any idea what should I check? What should i post here to help you help me?
    >>

    > Try connecting to the daemon locally by running "nc localhost PORT" on
    > the daemon machine to see if the same thing happens. If the daemon
    > prints "@RSYNCD: 30" or "@RSYNCD: 29", then the problem is between there
    > and the client. If it doesn't print anything, then check the daemon's
    > log and the syslog; the log should say something like "rsyncd version V
    > starting, listening on port P".
    >
    > Matt

    Hi everyone. I tried the advise Matt gave me about the netcat and got
    "@RSYNC: 30.0" (i updated it today tryng to fix this problem). So i
    gather that the daemon is working fine.
    I have this doubt: I´m running Ubuntu 7.10 (gutsy) 64bit in this box. Is
    it possible that rsync on a 32bit Ubuntu cannot talk to rsync on a 64bit
    Ubuntu? Is the package that different? Here are the tests i tried and
    their results, maybe you can give me some clues. I have unrestricted
    access to all boxes except for the 7.04 one.

    Source - Dest
    Ubuntu 6.10 32 bits - Ubuntu 7.04 32 bits - Connection OK
    XP +SP2 32 bits - Ubuntu 6.10 32 bits - Connection OK
    Ubuntu 7.10 64 bits - Ubuntu 6.10 32 bits - Daemon not answering
    XP +SP2 32 bits - Ubuntu 7.10 64 bits - Daemon not answering

    Please help me! My flimsy backup strategy depends on the 64bit box
    rsyncing to the 6.10 one.
    Thanks!

    --
    Saludos,