rsync from Windows to Linux - Tools

This is a discussion on rsync from Windows to Linux - Tools ; Hello all, I am having a problem rsyncing from windows to linux, or rather, keeping the file permissions the way I want them. My project is basically to keep two identical directories, one in Windows and one in Linux, mirrored, ...

  1. rsync from Windows to Linux

    Hello all,
    I am having a problem rsyncing from windows to linux, or rather, keeping the
    file permissions the way I want them. My project is basically to keep two
    identical directories, one in Windows and one in Linux, mirrored, but they
    must retain their user and group permissions. what rsync commands can I use
    to ensure that the windows permissions do not get copied over to linux? I
    have tried using the rsync command without archive mode, but no files get
    transferred. BTW i am using deltacopy on the windows side and rsync 3.0 on
    the linux side.

  2. Re: rsync from Windows to Linux

    On Tue, 2008-06-03 at 07:31 -0700, becca23 wrote:
    > I am having a problem rsyncing from windows to linux, or rather, keeping the
    > file permissions the way I want them. My project is basically to keep two
    > identical directories, one in Windows and one in Linux, mirrored, but they
    > must retain their user and group permissions. what rsync commands can I use
    > to ensure that the windows permissions do not get copied over to linux?

    > BTW i am using deltacopy on the windows side and rsync 3.0 on
    > the linux side.

    To leave the destination permissions and ownership alone and let newly
    copied files adopt the defaults, simply omit the options -pog (or if
    you're using -a, replace it with -rlt) and pass --chmod=ugo=rwX, as
    mentioned under --perms in the current man page.

    It looks like DeltaCopy contains rsync 2.6.6, which is too old to
    recognize the --chmod option, so if you're pushing from the Windows
    machine, you'll need to stuff that option in an --rsync-path:

    rsync --rsync-path='rsync --chmod=ugo=rwX' ARGS...

    > I have tried using the rsync command without archive mode, but no files get
    > transferred.

    This is probably separate from the permission issue. Please pass -vvii
    and post your rsync command line and the resulting output, and I'll see
    what is going on.

    Matt

  3. Re: rsync from Windows to Linux

    Matt McCutchen-7 wrote:

    > It looks like DeltaCopy contains rsync 2.6.6, which is too old to
    > recognize the --chmod option, so if you're pushing from the Windows
    > machine, you'll need to stuff that option in an --rsync-path:
    >
    > rsync --rsync-path='rsync --chmod=ugo=rwX' ARGS...
    >

    > --

    Thanks for the help, i got the permissions issue worked out, but I'm
    interested in this --rsync-path command. It seems like it could be a
    powerful tool to make up for the lack of rsync commands in Delta copy. Can
    someone tell me how to use this to my advantage to change the group that is
    assigned to the file in Linux. Since the groups in Windows and linux don't
    transfer that well, I can't seem to get the transferred files assigned to
    the right group. Detailed explanations please! thanks

  4. Re: rsync from Windows to Linux

    On Wed, 2008-06-04 at 07:20 -0700, becca23 wrote:
    > Thanks for the help, i got the permissions issue worked out, but I'm
    > interested in this --rsync-path command. It seems like it could be a
    > powerful tool to make up for the lack of rsync commands in Delta copy.

    Yes, you can use it to pass options straight to the rsync server (the
    rsync "3.0" on Linux) without the client (DeltaCopy's rsync 2.6.6)
    rejecting them. But this works only if the server can handle the option
    without any help from the client; otherwise, the protocol may become
    corrupted. --chmod is safe to pass directly to a server, but options
    like -o are not safe because they change the data exchanged between
    client and server.

    > Can
    > someone tell me how to use this to my advantage to change the group that is
    > assigned to the file in Linux. Since the groups in Windows and linux don't
    > transfer that well, I can't seem to get the transferred files assigned to
    > the right group. Detailed explanations please! thanks

    If all destination files should belong to the same group or perhaps
    different subtrees should belong to different groups: Give all files and
    directories to the desired groups manually using "chgrp". Then enable
    the setgid bit on directories by running (substitute the DEST):

    find DEST -type d -exec chmod g+s {} \;

    This makes a new file take the group of its containing directory instead
    of the default group of the creating process. Finally, omit the -g
    option to rsync so that rsync will not disturb the automatically
    assigned groups.

    Alternatively, if you wish to map specific Windows groups to specific
    Linux groups, you'll need to set up the desired mapping in the Cygwin
    compatibility layer that the rsync on Windows is using. This will be
    much easier with a full Cygwin installation. See:

    http://www.cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html

    Matt

+ Reply to Thread