How to backup files without destroying the destination?! - Tools

This is a discussion on How to backup files without destroying the destination?! - Tools ; Hello List, i would like to copy/mirror/rsync the backup files from ServerA to ServerB. Since i must assume that ServerA is hacked (public server with a few services), i would like to "pull" the files to ServerB (save server with ...

  1. How to backup files without destroying the destination?!

    Hello List,

    i would like to copy/mirror/rsync the backup files from ServerA to ServerB.
    Since i must assume that ServerA is hacked (public server with a few
    services), i would like to "pull" the files to ServerB (save server with
    no services).

    That means i do something like: rsync -avz ServerA:/backup ServerB:/backup

    IF ServerA gets hacked and the files get zeroed out (every file has
    rubbish or 0 bytes), then i would also destroy my files on my
    destination ServerB.

    Whats a good way to prevent this?
    Any ideas are welcome

    Cheers,
    Mario

  2. Re: How to backup files without destroying the destination?!

    On Fri, 2008-05-30 at 21:22 +0200, ml wrote:
    > i would like to copy/mirror/rsync the backup files from ServerA to ServerB.
    > Since i must assume that ServerA is hacked (public server with a few
    > services), i would like to "pull" the files to ServerB (save server with
    > no services).
    >
    > That means i do something like: rsync -avz ServerA:/backup ServerB:/backup

    For a pull, you would run the command on ServerB and leave out the
    destination hostname:

    ´╗┐rsync -avz ServerA:/backup /backup

    > IF ServerA gets hacked and the files get zeroed out (every file has
    > rubbish or 0 bytes), then i would also destroy my files on my
    > destination ServerB.
    >
    > Whats a good way to prevent this?

    Instead of just one backup, keep a series of backups on ServerB and
    sanity-check them periodically. That way, if ServerA is hacked, you'll
    have a period of time to notice and recover from a good backup. To save
    space, you could use a tool that hard-links unchanged files; my personal
    favorite is rsnapshot ( http://www.rsnapshot.org/ ).

    Matt

  3. Re: How to backup files without destroying the destination?!

    On Sat, 2008-05-31 at 08:57 +0200, ml wrote:
    > > Instead of just one backup, keep a series of backups on ServerB and
    > > sanity-check them periodically. That way, if ServerA is hacked, you'll
    > > have a period of time to notice and recover from a good backup. To save
    > > space, you could use a tool that hard-links unchanged files; my personal
    > > favorite is rsnapshot ( http://www.rsnapshot.org/ ).
    > >

    > So you are basically saying i need to backup my backups?

    Perhaps you could think of it that way, but I'm not suggesting recopying
    any data after it is already on ServerB. I'm just suggesting copying
    ServerA's data to a different destination on ServerB each time so that,
    if ServerA goes bad, you'll still have a destination made when it was
    good. To prevent the space usage on ServerB from growing indefinitely,
    you could periodically check the latest destination for any corruption
    and, if it is good, delete all the other ones.

    Matt

  4. Re: How to backup files without destroying the destination?!

    Hello,

    > To prevent the space usage on ServerB from growing indefinitely,
    > you could periodically check the latest destination for any corruption
    > and, if it is good, delete all the other ones.

    .... or you could try dirvish (www.dirvish.com): for every new backup it
    creates a directory where every file which hasnt changed since the last
    backup is just a hard link to the old one. This way a backup hierarchy costs
    you almost no extra disk scpace.

    --
    Greets,
    Leonid Chaichenets.