CPAN mirroring exclude syntax assistance request - Tools

This is a discussion on CPAN mirroring exclude syntax assistance request - Tools ; I'm running a local CPAN mirror and there is one recursive subdirectory I desire to exclude. I've tried many different syntax variations with no luck. Someone let me know where I'm going wrong: /usr/bin/rsync -av --delete --exclude '/src/***' --no-implied-dirs \ ...

  1. CPAN mirroring exclude syntax assistance request

    I'm running a local CPAN mirror and there is one recursive subdirectory
    I desire to exclude. I've tried many different syntax variations with no
    luck. Someone let me know where I'm going wrong:

    /usr/bin/rsync -av --delete --exclude '/src/***' --no-implied-dirs \
    --delete-excluded --prune-empty-dirs ftp.funet.fi::CPAN /cpan-mirror/

    Thanks.

    --
    Love feeling your best ever, all day, every day?
    Click http://RadicalHealth.com/join for the easy way.

  2. Re: CPAN mirroring exclude syntax assistance request

    On Fri 30 May 2008, David Favor wrote:

    > /usr/bin/rsync -av --delete --exclude '/src/***' --no-implied-dirs \
    > --delete-excluded --prune-empty-dirs ftp.funet.fi::CPAN /cpan-mirror/

    When I try this (with -n added, as I have no interest in downloading all
    of that), I don't see any paths beginning with /src/ being listed. The
    last file listed is "scripts/text-processing/wptoascii".
    What's the problem?

    Paul Slootman

  3. Re: CPAN mirroring exclude syntax assistance request

    Paul Slootman wrote:
    > On Fri 30 May 2008, David Favor wrote:
    >> /usr/bin/rsync -av --delete --exclude '/src/***' --no-implied-dirs \
    >> --delete-excluded --prune-empty-dirs ftp.funet.fi::CPAN /cpan-mirror/

    > When I try this (with -n added, as I have no interest in downloading all
    > of that), I don't see any paths beginning with /src/ being listed. The
    > last file listed is "scripts/text-processing/wptoascii".
    > What's the problem?
    >

    > Paul Slootman

    Now I'm really confused.

    If I use the above command with -anv then all '/src/***' files are excluded.

    If I 'rm -rf src' and run the command again without -n then all the files
    from src get synced again.

    I'm confused when -azn and -az work differently.

    Suggestions welcome.

    --
    Love feeling your best ever, all day, every day?
    Click http://RadicalHealth.com/join for the easy way.

  4. Re: CPAN mirroring exclude syntax assistance request

    On Sat, 2008-05-31 at 10:33 -0500, David Favor wrote:
    > Now I'm really confused.
    >
    > If I use the above command with -anv then all '/src/***' files are excluded.
    >
    > If I 'rm -rf src' and run the command again without -n then all the files
    > from src get synced again.
    >
    > I'm confused when -azn and -az work differently.

    OK, that would explain why Paul and I couldn't see the incorrect
    behavior. It looks like there is a really perverse problem with either
    your copy of rsync or the one on ftp.funet.fi . You might try a freshly
    compiled rsync 3.0.2 on your end, and if the problem persists, ask the
    ftp.funet.fi administrator.

    Matt

  5. Re: CPAN mirroring exclude syntax assistance request

    Matt McCutchen wrote:
    > On Sat, 2008-05-31 at 10:33 -0500, David Favor wrote:
    >> Now I'm really confused.
    >>
    >> If I use the above command with -anv then all '/src/***' files are excluded.
    >>
    >> If I 'rm -rf src' and run the command again without -n then all the files
    >> from src get synced again.
    >>
    >> I'm confused when -azn and -az work differently.

    > OK, that would explain why Paul and I couldn't see the incorrect
    > behavior. It looks like there is a really perverse problem with either
    > your copy of rsync or the one on ftp.funet.fi . You might try a freshly
    > compiled rsync 3.0.2 on your end, and if the problem persists, ask the
    > ftp.funet.fi administrator.
    >
    > Matt

    Bizarre. I just did and rpmbuild of rsync-3.0.2-0 under Fedora fc8 and installed
    it on several servers. All the rsync between these newest version or rsync seem
    to work as expected.

    And still whatever files under src/ I remove are synced again.

    It appears the funet.fi site is acting unexpectedly.

    Let me know if there is some way I can identify the protocol version of the
    funet.fi server as I saw no mention of this in the rsync man page.

    If not... ah well...

    --
    Love feeling your best ever, all day, every day?
    Click http://RadicalHealth.com/join for the easy way.

  6. Re: CPAN mirroring exclude syntax assistance request

    On Sat, 2008-05-31 at 14:12 -0500, David Favor wrote:
    > Let me know if there is some way I can identify the protocol version of the
    > funet.fi server as I saw no mention of this in the rsync man page.

    I passed it the -X option, which it doesn't support, and got this:

    rsync: on remote machine: -dXe.L: unknown option
    rsync error: requested action not supported (code 4) at clientserver.c(685)[sender=2.6.8]
    rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (4 bytes received so far) [receiver]
    rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(635) [receiver=3.0.2]

    So it looks like the ftp.funet.fi daemon is 2.6.8. But I set up my own
    2.6.8 daemon with a small number of files and couldn't reproduce the
    problem. I guess you should either take the problem up with the
    ftp.funet.fi administrators (there seem to be some contacts at
    http://www.csc.fi/english/funet ) or switch to a different CPAN mirror.

    Matt

  7. Re: CPAN mirroring exclude syntax assistance request

    Matt McCutchen wrote:
    > On Sat, 2008-05-31 at 14:12 -0500, David Favor wrote:
    >> Let me know if there is some way I can identify the protocol version of the
    >> funet.fi server as I saw no mention of this in the rsync man page.

    > I passed it the -X option, which it doesn't support, and got this:
    >
    > rsync: on remote machine: -dXe.L: unknown option
    > rsync error: requested action not supported (code 4) at clientserver.c(685) [sender=2.6.8]
    > rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (4 bytes received so far) [receiver]
    > rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(635) [receiver=3.0.2]
    >
    > So it looks like the ftp.funet.fi daemon is 2.6.8. But I set up my own
    > 2.6.8 daemon with a small number of files and couldn't reproduce the
    > problem. I guess you should either take the problem up with the
    > ftp.funet.fi administrators (there seem to be some contacts at
    > http://www.csc.fi/english/funet ) or switch to a different CPAN mirror.
    >
    > Matt

    I just sent them an email suggesting they upgrade to 3.0.2.

    Thanks for all your assistance.