rsync hang at end - Tools

This is a discussion on rsync hang at end - Tools ; Hi All, My wrapper application for rsync 3.0.2 on osx has been working smoothly except for reports of it hanging on the last file of the transfer to a local firewire drive. We seem to have solved the mystery of ...

  1. rsync hang at end

    Hi All,
    My wrapper application for rsync 3.0.2 on osx has been working
    smoothly except for reports of it hanging on the last file of the
    transfer to a local firewire drive. We seem to have solved the mystery
    of the slow transfers but now, every four or five runs, it hangs at
    the last file to transfer and refuses to quit. Activity Monitor shows
    three rsync processes all at 0%CPU at that point (and virtual memory
    allocated of 3.74GB, 2.6GB and 2.6GB!). The last file incidentally is /
    usr/standalone/bootx.xcoff

    My friend is using the standard options

    -aHAXN --fileflags --force-change --stats -v --progress

    on an Intel mac copying his system of 100GB, or 1 million files, to
    the external drive. As I said, it works well and always copies all of
    the files perfectly. When the hang occurs, the output shows nothing
    unusual - it just stops at the last file transferred and does not
    proceed to shut itself off. We havn't managed to run with -vvv when
    this happens but will try to catch it with that now. I should also
    mention that rsync is launched via do shell script and the output sent
    to a log file in /tmp which the app reads progress from...

    I googled around and found references to an rsync end hang that said
    the child process wasn't getting the quit signal from parent rsync....
    (on rsync 2.5.5)

    Don't know if that is relevant at all...

    Any thoughts, anyone?

    thanks so much for this great tool!

    Rob D

  2. Re: rsync hang at end

    Robert,
    Perhaps unrelated, but I had a hang-at-end situation which at least
    sounds similar. I tried to use a 3.0.x binary which had been compiled
    on a PPC, on an intel-mini; it seemed to hang at the end.
    Recompiled on the intel-mini, no problem since then.

    Larry
    --

    At 9:57 PM -0400 5/22/08, Robert DuToit wrote:
    >Hi All,
    > My wrapper application for rsync 3.0.2 on osx has been working
    >smoothly except for reports of it hanging on the last file of the
    >transfer to a local firewire drive. We seem to have solved the
    >mystery of the slow transfers but now, every four or five runs, it
    >hangs at the last file to transfer and refuses to quit. Activity
    >Monitor shows three rsync processes all at 0%CPU at that point (and
    >virtual memory allocated of 3.74GB, 2.6GB and 2.6GB!). The last file
    >incidentally is /usr/standalone/bootx.xcoff
    >
    >My friend is using the standard options
    >
    >-aHAXN --fileflags --force-change --stats -v --progress
    >
    >on an Intel mac copying his system of 100GB, or 1 million files, to
    >the external drive. As I said, it works well and always copies all
    >of the files perfectly. When the hang occurs, the output shows
    >nothing unusual - it just stops at the last file transferred and
    >does not proceed to shut itself off. We havn't managed to run with
    >-vvv when this happens but will try to catch it with that now. I
    >should also mention that rsync is launched via do shell script and
    >the output sent to a log file in /tmp which the app reads progress
    >from...
    >
    >I googled around and found references to an rsync end hang that said
    >the child process wasn't getting the quit signal from parent
    >rsync.... (on rsync 2.5.5)
    >
    >Don't know if that is relevant at all...
    >
    >Any thoughts, anyone?
    >
    >thanks so much for this great tool!
    >
    >Rob D
    >--

  3. Re: rsync hang at end

    Hi larry,

    This rsync was compiled on an intel running 10.4.11 so the
    architecture is right. I am wondering though if it would make a
    difference to compile it on the 10.5.2 machine it seems to hang on....
    I have assumed all along that compiling it on the previous OS would be
    upward compatible.

    Thanks, rob