Re: rsync, OpenSolaris, & Mac Attributes? - Tools

This is a discussion on Re: rsync, OpenSolaris, & Mac Attributes? - Tools ; On 22 May, 2008, at 19:55 , Jeff Waddell wrote: > It appears that even though I'm trying to perform a "push" operation > with rsync (without using the remote demon), the SSH connection > seems to still be calling ...

  1. Re: rsync, OpenSolaris, & Mac Attributes?

    On 22 May, 2008, at 19:55 , Jeff Waddell wrote:

    > It appears that even though I'm trying to perform a "push" operation
    > with rsync (without using the remote demon), the SSH connection
    > seems to still be calling rsync on the Solaris server and is running
    > into some error. Is there a rsync flag to not call rsync through SSH
    > on the target server or a way or maybe a better way to properly
    > rsync Mac data to a Solaris/ZFS target server?

    rsync must call rsync on the target machine, otherwise to whom would
    it be talking?
    Presumably you have two versions of rsync on the target machine, one
    of which does not support those extra features. Use --rsync-path to
    explicitly set the rsync to use on the target.
    Hope this helps

    Giuliano

  2. Re: rsync, OpenSolaris, & Mac Attributes?

    On 23 May, 2008, at 03:31 , Jeff Waddell wrote:

    > I only have one rsync version (3.0.3 pre2) on the Solaris target. I
    > ran a
    > --version on both systems, and noticed that the Solaris version
    > reports the
    > following capabilities: "ACLs, no xattrs, no symtimes, no file-
    > flags" where
    > the Mac reports "ACLs, xattrs, symtimes, file-flags." This would
    > explain why
    > rsync is failing when calling the extra -X & --fileflags feature flags
    > (although not -A for ACLs). I guess my question now would be are
    > xattrs and
    > file-flags completely unsupported in rsync on Solaris, or does
    > something
    > special have to be called when compiling rsync in order to enable
    > them?
    > Also, what could be going on with ACL support? I've reposted my error
    > messages below Thanks!
    > -Jeff

    looking in my list archive I cannot find support for extended
    attributes on OpenSolaris.
    You could probably use OSX own mapping by mounting the Solaris target
    filesystem on the Mac with NFS and then use as a target 127.0.0.1:/
    Volumes/ to force delta transfers (but remember
    --rsync-path unless you replaced the distributed rsync with the new
    one).

    Giuliano