rsync into an archive - Tools

This is a discussion on rsync into an archive - Tools ; Hello all, can rsync sync some directory directlly into a compressed file format.. that way I wouldn't have to compress it myself.... when syncing again it would decompress the file, sync and re-compress well, maybe this is a crazy idea... ...

  1. rsync into an archive

    Hello all,

    can rsync sync some directory directlly into a compressed file format..

    that way I wouldn't have to compress it myself.... when syncing again it
    would decompress the file, sync and re-compress

    well, maybe this is a crazy idea... !?!?

    cheers
    joao

  2. Re: rsync into an archive

    Hi,

    Take a look at http://www.s3rsync.com/ they offer rsync to tar

    Regards,
    Milutin Voinivich

    Joao Ferreira gmail wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >
    > can rsync sync some directory directlly into a compressed file format..
    >
    > that way I wouldn't have to compress it myself.... when syncing again it
    > would decompress the file, sync and re-compress
    >
    > well, maybe this is a crazy idea... !?!?
    >
    > cheers
    > joao

  3. Re: rsync into an archive

    On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 11:30:39AM +0100, Joao Ferreira gmail wrote:
    > can rsync sync some directory directlly into a compressed file format..

    This is not currently supported. There's a patch that could allow such
    a situation, but I don't recommend it. For backups, the BackupPC
    software (listed on rsync's resources webpage) has the ability to rsync
    remote files into a locally compressed backup area.

    ...wayne..