rsync --files-from option file with a custom Delimiter - Tools

This is a discussion on rsync --files-from option file with a custom Delimiter - Tools ; Hi All, I'm new to rsync usage in Mac OS X. I'm having a strange issue with -- files-from option. I'm providing the --files-from to provide a file , which contains the list of files separated by newline character , ...

  1. rsync --files-from option file with a custom Delimiter

    Hi All,

    I'm new to rsync usage in Mac OS X. I'm having a strange issue with --
    files-from option.

    I'm providing the --files-from to provide a file , which contains the
    list of files separated by newline character , to perform backup
    operation. Especially in Mac OS X , particular tiff bundle files are
    having \r as part of the filename.When rsync reads the filepaths using
    delimiter \r.Hence my filename is split into 2 strings and finally
    getting No Such file or directory error.

    Is there any way i can specify the custom delimiter to rsync to read
    the file names. Please help me to solve this.

    Thanks in Advance.

    JanakiRam.

  2. Re: rsync --files-from option file with a custom Delimiter

    On Sun, 2008-05-18 at 02:35 +0000, JanakiRam wrote:
    > I'm new to rsync usage in Mac OS X. I'm having a strange issue with --
    > files-from option.
    >
    > I'm providing the --files-from to provide a file , which contains the
    > list of files separated by newline character , to perform backup
    > operation. Especially in Mac OS X , particular tiff bundle files are
    > having \r as part of the filename.When rsync reads the filepaths using
    > delimiter \r.Hence my filename is split into 2 strings and finally
    > getting No Such file or directory error.
    >
    > Is there any way i can specify the custom delimiter to rsync to read
    > the file names. Please help me to solve this.

    You can use a null byte ('\0') as the delimiter if you pass --from0 .

    Matt

  3. Re: rsync --files-from option file with a custom Delimiter

    JanakiRam, please CC the rsync list in replies so that your messages
    are archived and others can help you.

    On Mon, 2008-05-19 at 02:34 -0700, JanakiRam wrote:
    > > > Is there any way i can specify the custom delimiter to rsyncto read
    > > > the file names. Please help me to solve this.

    > > You can use a null byte ('\0') as the delimiter if you pass --from0 .

    > I'm new to rsync and its usage , Can you please provide an example/
    > pointers/links for such usage.

    You could use tr to convert your existing newline-separated file list
    (let LIST represent its name) to a null-separated one to pass to rsync:

    tr '\n' '\0'
    Matt

+ Reply to Thread