Does rsync 2.6.9 works for resource forks in Mac OS X - Tools

This is a discussion on Does rsync 2.6.9 works for resource forks in Mac OS X - Tools ; HI All, I'm new to this rsync world. Please bear with me if it looks odd. I've downloaded the rsync 2.6.9 version and using it to perform backup to my server. My doubt is when i try to copy a ...

  1. Does rsync 2.6.9 works for resource forks in Mac OS X

    HI All,

    I'm new to this rsync world. Please bear with me if it looks odd.

    I've downloaded the rsync 2.6.9 version and using it to perform backup
    to my server. My doubt is when i try to copy a file Does rsync is
    capable of copying the resource forks of that files as well ?

    Please advise.

    Thanks in Advance.

    Janakiram.

  2. Re: Does rsync 2.6.9 works for resource forks in Mac OS X

    On Sun, 2008-05-18 at 02:35 +0000, JanakiRam wrote:
    > I've downloaded the rsync 2.6.9 version and using it to perform backup
    > to my server. My doubt is when i try to copy a file Does rsync is
    > capable of copying the resource forks of that files as well ?

    Since version 10.4, the Mac OS X filesystem exposes resource forks as
    extended attributes, so you need an rsync that is capable of copying
    extended attributes (the -X option). A copy of rsync 2.6.9 that
    includes the xattrs.diff patch can do that, but you may have better luck
    with a standard rsync 3.0.* version, which has improved and
    better-tested extended attribute support.

    For Mac OS X older than 10.4, Vitorio Machado made a modified version of
    rsync 3.0.0 that uses Mac APIs to access resource forks, but YMMV:

    http://shared.and.free.fr/rsync10.3xattr_support080211/

    Matt

+ Reply to Thread