I've been using rsync for some time (years) to generate
many hardlink snapshots per day; but I'm seeing an odd
new problem today.

the remote/destination host gets a file list from the
source machine via ssh, and begins to write files until
it "hangs". On this run only one file was transferred; on
other runs many screenfulls went across

+ rsync --recursive --links --perms --times --group --owner --devices --specials --numeric-ids --protocol=29 --verbose --progress --exclude tmp --exclude *.tmp --exclude spool --exclude *.core --exclude *.boot --exclude *.filepart --exclude *.lock --exclude *.nobak --exclude .RDATA --exclude /repo --exclude /sandbox --exclude /soft/dist --link-dest=/ub0/bk/1/2008.04.29.0010.00//center //center/ lou.grid://ub0/bk/0/2008.05.08.1051.49//center/
building file list ...
580347 files to consider
comp/GridTest/101v6.csv

the dest host is rsync version 2.6.9 protocol version 29
and the source host is rsync version 2.6.9 protocol version 29

in the above run I specified the protocol because I
assumed the src host had a newer version. the src host
has just been setup, but the destination host has been
receiving these snapshots for a while.

After the hang, the destination host seems in perfect
order (no login or disk or observable problems). I see
the ssh connection from source to destination is still
open but the remote rsync pids have all ended with no
indication of error -- there is no rsync in the process
tree at all; below, the rsync shell is/was 26770, now
with no children...

| | |-+= 03778 root sshd: root@ttyp0
| | | \--= 17062 root -ksh
| | \--= 26770 root sshd: root@notty
| |-+= 00594 root nfsd: master
| | |--- 00475 root nfsd: server
| | |--- 00601 root nfsd: server

The only problem I see with the source host is the rsync
command doesn't complete. What can I check? What is
going on here???

// George

--
George Georgalis, information system scientist <