I am (attempting to) implement an rsync method for distributing updates
from a FreeBSD master server to several 'slave' servers. In addition to
keeping certain userland files up to date it I also want it to keep the
OS up to date.=20

I've run into a problem that I do not know how to fix. When I run the
following command:

rsync -aHXA --fileflags --force-change --no-inc-recursive
master.server.com::all /

I get the following error:

rsync: link "/usr/bin/ypchfn" =3D> usr/bin/ypchpass failed: Operation =
not
permitted (1)
rsync: link "/usr/bin/chsh" =3D> usr/bin/ypchpass failed: Operation not
permitted (1)
rsync: link "/usr/bin/chpass" =3D> usr/bin/ypchpass failed: Operation =
not
permitted (1)
rsync: link "/usr/bin/chfn" =3D> usr/bin/ypchpass failed: Operation not
permitted (1)
rsync: link "/usr/bin/ypchsh" =3D> usr/bin/ypchpass failed: Operation =
not
permitted (1)
rsync: link "/usr/bin/yppasswd" =3D> usr/bin/passwd failed: Operation =
not
permitted (1)
rsync error: some files could not be transferred (code 23) at
main.c(1497) [generator=3D3.0.2]

I thought the combination of the --fileflags and --force-change flags
would allow such hard links to be created? Am I missing an option?

Jonathan

This email message is intended for the use of the person to whom it has =
been sent, and may contain information that is confidential or legally =
protected. If you are not the intended recipient or have received this =
message in error, you are not authorized to copy, distribute, or =
otherwise use this message or its attachments. Please notify the sender =
immediately by return e-mail and permanently delete this message and any =
attachments. Verio, Inc. makes no warranty that this email is error or =
virus free. Thank you.