--===============1745480131==

--Apple-Mail-4--445384427

Sorry for replying to myself, but i think this is quite a problem...
I mean, rsync seems to be arbitrarily changing filenames
Is this the wrong place for such a question? Should i fill in a bug
report?
Marco

On 5 Apr, 2008, at 13:30 , Marco Bridge wrote:

> Hi everybody,
> i've been using rsync for quite some time to sync files between my
> laptop and my desktop
> for example i use the following to backup the music library (from
> Mac to Linux)
>> rsync -rvzu --exclude=.DS_Store --delete --exclude 'Podcasts/*'
>> $LOCAL_MUSI $REMOTE_MUSIC >> $LOGFILE

> An odd thing i always noticed is that some files were always copied,
> even running the above command 2 times consecutively.
> This was happening only for about 30 files in a library of 3000+
> songs and with some pdf documents,
> so it seemed just some weirdness in the files.
>
> However i just noticed something interesting from today's log,
> there seems to be something wrong with the capitalization of some
> filenames
>> deleting acdc/Back In Black/Back In Black.mp3
>> deleting acdc/Back In Black/
>> deleting Pink Floyd/The division Bell/Cluster one.mp3
>> deleting Pink Floyd/The division bell/Keep tolking.mp3
>> deleting Pink Floyd/The division bell/A great day for freedom.mp3
>> ACDC/Back In Black/
>> ACDC/Back In Black/Back In Black.mp3
>> Pink Floyd/The division Bell/A great day for freedom.mp3
>> Pink Floyd/The division Bell/Keep tolking.mp3
>> Pink Floyd/The division bell/Cluster one.mp3

> The folder 'ACDC/' is copied to the other computer as 'acdc/'
> for this reason the next time it will be deleted and re-sent.
>
> in the Pink Floyd case, look at how the 'B' in 'Bell' changes
> In this case the folder name seems to be ok on the receiver side,
> but rsync deletes the entire folder anyway.
>
> Notice that there are many other file in my library with mixed upper
> and lower-case names
> (also full upper/lower-case) and they're not affected.
>
> What could be causing that?
>
> Best regards
> Marco
>
> More info
> *Source
> Filesystem: Mac OS Extended
> Macintosh, OSX 10.5 Leopard
> rsync version 2.6.3 protocol version 28
> Capabilities: 64-bit files, socketpairs, hard links, symlinks,
> batchfiles,
> inplace, IPv6, 32-bit system inums, 64-bit internal
> inums
>
> *Destination
> Ubuntu Linux 7.10
> Filesystem: vfat (fat32)
> rsync version 2.6.9 protocol version 29
> Capabilities: 64-bit files, socketpairs, hard links, symlinks,
> batchfiles, inplace, IPv6, ACLs,
> 64-bit system inums, 64-bit internal inums

--Apple-Mail-4--445384427

-webkit-line-break: after-white-space; ">Sorry for replying to myself, =
but i think this is quite a problem...
I mean, rsync seems to be =
arbitrarily changing filenames
Is this the wrong place for =
such a question? Should i fill in a bug =
report?
Marco

On 5 Apr, =
2008, at 13:30 , Marco Bridge wrote:
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline">
style=3D"word-wrap: break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; =
-webkit-line-break: after-white-space; =
">
Hi everybody,
i've =
been using rsync for quite some time to sync files between my laptop and =
my desktop
for example i use the following to backup the music =
library (from Mac to Linux)
rsync =
-rvzu --exclude=3D.DS_Store --delete --exclude =
'Podcasts/*' $LOCAL_MUSI $REMOTE_MUSIC >> =
$LOGFILE
An odd thing i always noticed is =
that some files were always copied,
even running the =
above command 2 times consecutively.
This was happening =
only for about 30 files in a library of 3000+ songs and with some pdf =
documents,
so it seemed just some weirdness in the =
files.

However i just noticed something =
interesting from today's log,
there seems to be =
something wrong with the capitalization of some =
filenames
type=3D"cite">
color=3D"#000000">deleting acdc/Back In Black/Back In =
Black.mp3
color=3D"#000000">deleting acdc/Back In =
Black/
color=3D"#000000">deleting Pink Floyd/The division Bell/Cluster =
one.mp3
color=3D"#000000">deleting Pink Floyd/The division bell/Keep =
tolking.mp3
color=3D"#000000">deleting Pink Floyd/The division bell/A great day for =
freedom.mp3
color=3D"#000000">...
class=3D"Apple-style-span" color=3D"#000000">ACDC/Back In =
Black/
color=3D"#000000">ACDC/Back In Black/Back In =
Black.mp3
color=3D"#000000">Pink Floyd/The division Bell/A great day for =
freedom.mp3
color=3D"#000000">Pink Floyd/The division Bell/Keep =
tolking.mp3
color=3D"#000000">Pink Floyd/The division bell/Cluster =
one.mp3

           =
   inplace, IPv6, 32-bit system inums, 64-bit internal =
inums

*Destination
Ubuntu Linux =
7.10
Filesystem: vfat (fat32)
rsync  version 2.6.9 =
 protocol version 29
Capabilities: 64-bit files, =
socketpairs, hard links, =
symlinks,
          &=
nbsp; batchfiles, inplace, IPv6, =
ACLs,
          &nbsp=
; 64-bit system inums, 64-bit internal =
inums

>=

--Apple-Mail-4--445384427--