rsync and --link-dest to a remote server - Tools

This is a discussion on rsync and --link-dest to a remote server - Tools ; I have an rsync (version 2.6.9 -- protocol version 29) server and I use a command like: rysnc -aCHh --link-dest=/backups/server.1 / /backups/server.0 which works fine. I have a second machine which I backup to the same server using: rysnc -aCh ...

  1. rsync and --link-dest to a remote server

    I have an rsync (version 2.6.9 -- protocol version 29) server and I use a
    command like:

    rysnc -aCHh --link-dest=/backups/server.1 / /backups/server.0

    which works fine. I have a second machine which I backup to the same server
    using:

    rysnc -aCh --password-file=/var/rsync.passwd / server::backups/server2

    And that worked fine too. However, I'd like to do incrementals of server2
    as well as of server, so I tried:

    rysnc -aCHh --password-file=/var/rsync.passwd --link-dest=server::backups/server2.1 / /backups/server2.0

    but that does not work. Each server2.# folder has the complete backup.

    Server2 is quite small, only about 10GB, and the number of files that change
    on a daily basis is tiny (just the logs, really).

    is it possible to do the --link-dest sort of rsync to a remote server or does
    the whole link thing simply break down?

    my rsyncd.conf has:

    [backups]
    path = /backups/
    comment = BackupLoc
    readonly = no
    auth users = *munged*
    uid = 0
    secrets file = /root/rsyncd.secrets

    --
    "It's unacceptable to think" - George W Bush 15/Sep/2006

  2. Re: rsync and --link-dest to a remote server

    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    rysnc -aCHh --password-file=/var/rsync.passwd --link-dest=server::backups/server2.1 / /backups/server2.0

    but that does not work. Each server2.# folder has the complete backup.

    it looks like your link-dest is remote, and your dest is local.
    you should try with a remote dest, s.l.
    rysnc -aCHh --password-file=/var/rsync.passwd --link-dest=server::backups/server2.1 / server::backups/server2.0

    or maybe the other way round ... but dest and link-dest should imho be on the same machine

    but it's just a guess and a try worth

+ Reply to Thread