--===============1360919139==

--64LDleNqNegJ4g97

On Wed, 2008-04-02 19:20:09 -0400, Matt McCutchen =
wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-04-02 at 19:15 -0400, Clark wrote:
> > Matt McCutchen wrote:
> > > It's not clear to me how a filesystem snapshot would solve the proble=

m.
> > > It guarantees that rsync sees an instantaneous state of the filesyste=

m,
> > > but that state could still include files that are half-modified by ot=

her
> > > programs.
> > >=20

> > I shut everything down so that it is not "live", do a snapshot, then let
> > people go again. It is not perfect, but the snapshot process takes only
> > a second or two, then people can work for the hours it takes for rsync
> > to run.

>=20
> Good point. A filesystem snapshot doesn't avoid the need to stop the
> services, but it greatly reduces the length of the downtime.

Live replication--one day I'll play with it again.

Another approach could be a shared device (think nbd) with a
sync-mounted filesystem.

MfG, JBG

--=20
Jan-Benedict Glaw jbglaw@lug-owl.de +49-172-7608481
Signature of: They that give up essential liberty to obtain temporary safet=
y,
the second : deserve neither liberty nor safety. (Ben Franklin)

--64LDleNqNegJ4g97

--64LDleNqNegJ4g97--