Using GPG with rsync - Tools

This is a discussion on Using GPG with rsync - Tools ; Hi all, Despite my (quick) searchs, I could't find a way of mixing gpg and rsync such that the backup server store an encrypted version of the files transferred using my GPG public key (and conversely decrypt it on restore). ...

  1. Using GPG with rsync

    Hi all,

    Despite my (quick) searchs, I could't find a way of mixing gpg and
    rsync such that the backup server store an encrypted version of the
    files transferred using my GPG public key (and conversely decrypt it
    on restore).
    On backup, it supposes a prefilter of the files for encrypting before
    comparing to the remote ones.
    As somebody already done a similar stuff?

    Best regards,

  2. Re: Using GPG with rsync

    Falkor wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Despite my (quick) searchs, I could't find a way of mixing gpg and
    > rsync such that the backup server store an encrypted version of the
    > files transferred using my GPG public key (and conversely decrypt it
    > on restore).
    > On backup, it supposes a prefilter of the files for encrypting before
    > comparing to the remote ones.
    > As somebody already done a similar stuff?

    Ok, I made an auto-reply as I found duplicity (http://www.nongnu.org/
    duplicity/) which seems to answer my needs.

    Here are the main steps of how I configured it on my Mac (10.4), using
    stow (cf http://www.gnu.org/software/stow/)

    - Install de Python 2.5: cf http://www.python.org/download/releases/
    - fink install librsync librsync-bin librsync-shlibs ncftp
    - Install de GnuPGInterface cf http://py-gnupg.sourceforge.net/:
    python2.5 setup.py build
    python2.5 setup.py install
    - Install de Pexpect: http://pexpect.sourceforge.net/:
    python2.5 setup.py build
    python2.5 setup.py install
    - Install de duplicity:
    python2.5 setup.py --librsync-dir=/sw/ install --prefix=/usr/
    local/stow/duplicity-0.4.6
    cd /usr/local/stow
    sudo stow duplicity-0.4.6

    Some tests:

    Backup on an external disk:
    duplicity /tmp/Test file:///Volumes/LaCie/Backup

    Verification
    duplicity verify file:///Volumes/LaCie/Backup /tmp/Test

    Restore:
    duplicity file:///Volumes/LaCie/Backup /tmp/Test2

+ Reply to Thread