rsync on cygwin - Tools

This is a discussion on rsync on cygwin - Tools ; I have had troubles in the past ruing rsync on cygwin for backing up a linux folder to a windows XP box. The rsync would always require transfer of a large number of files from the linux side, even though ...

  1. rsync on cygwin

    I have had troubles in the past ruing rsync on cygwin for backing up a
    linux folder to a windows XP box.

    The rsync would always require transfer of a large number of files from
    the linux side, even though those files were not modified.

    I am not sure if it has to do with a directory that has numerous files
    and subfolders, or if is has to do with odd characters in the file and
    directory names (~, lots of ".", ?) or some combination of both.

    I eventually just tar gzipped those bad acting folders, deleted the
    original file tree, and all works for now.

    I have also had trouble using rsync for syncing a huge number of files,
    but that is another problem that is easily worked around...

  2. Re: rsync on cygwin

    I just found that Windows still has trouble with case sensitivity in
    file names.

    I avoid more problems if I don't have two files named File1 and file1
    in the same directory, the cygwin rsync gets confused.

    Crazy.

+ Reply to Thread