Hi,

I can't get rsync from a PC to an HP-UX or Linux box to work,
and am hoping for a pointer or two.

I checked the FAQ and googled ... with no luck, so I hope this isn't
a patently obvious newbie problem

I just got interested in trying to use rsync to backup my WinXP PC to
a Linux or HP-UX computer. I got the cygwin package from Robert
Scholten's site at http://optics.ph.unimelb.edu.au/help...rsync_pc1.html.

Environment:

"ozma" is an HP-UX rp2430, running 11.11;

rsync version 2.6.4 protocol version 29
(2.6.6 requires too many things we don't have installed)

/etc/rsyncd.conf has: [ftp]
path = /tmp/ftp
comment = ftp export area

/etc/services has: rsync 873/tcp # rsync

/etc/inetd.conf has: sync stream tcp nowait root /usr/local/bin/rsync rsyncd --daemon

"opus" is a RedHat Linux system runnning, uh, well, maye it's 2.4.20-28.7 as reported by uname -a?;

rsync version 2.5.7 protocol version 26

/etc/services has: rsync 873/tcp # rsync
rsync 873/udp # rsync

/etc/xinetd.d/rsync has:
service rsync
{
disable = no
socket_type = stream
wait = no
user = root
server = /usr/bin/rsync
server_args = --daemon
log_on_failure += USERID
}

(we run xinetd, not inetd)

"tinman" is my WinXP Pro SP2 PC

rsh is the Windows distrution version

rsync is cygwin's 2.5.1, protocol version 25

set PATH=c:\rsync;%PATH%
set CYGWIN=binmode tty
set TERM=ansi
set USERNAME=sieler
set HOME=c:\rsync
set RSYNC_RSH=rsh.exe

(a copy of the \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\RSH.EXE is in my C:\RSYNC directory)

So....

1. from PC to HP-UX: rsh works, rsynch doesn't

rsh from the PC to an HP-UX box (11.11) works fine:

(PC): rsh ozma uname
HP-UX

but rsync to the HP-UX box fails:

(PC): rsync foo ozma:/tmp/foo
Terminal read: The handle is invalid.
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [receiver]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(420)
rsync: read error: Connection reset by peer
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(151)

2. from PC to Linux: nothing works

rsh from the PC to the Linux box simply times out after about 30 seconds:

(PC): rsh opus uname
(30 second delay)
opus.allegro.com: Permission denied
rsh.exe: can't establish connection

rsync similarly times out:

(PC): rsync foo opus:/tmp/foo
opus.allegro.com: Permission denied.
rsh.exe: can't establish connection
rsync: read error: Connection reset by peer
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(151)

-----

Other info...

3. rsh from Linux to HP-UX: works

(Linux): rsh ozma uname
HP-UX

4. rsync from Linux to HP-UX: works

(Linux): rsync -v mime ozma:/tmp/mime
mime
wrote 83 bytes read 54 bytes 91.33 bytes/sec
total size is 1812 speedup is 13.23

5. rsh from HP-UX to Linux: works

(HP-UX): remsh opus uname
Linux

rsync ss.startup.notes opus:/tmp/ss.startup.notes
ssh: connect to host opus port 22: Connection refused
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [sender]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(420)

6. rsync from HP-UX to Linux: fails

(HP-UX): rsync stdlist.179.nofilter.txt opus:/tmp/foo9
ssh: connect to host opus port 22: Connection refused
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [sender]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(420)

Hmmm...if I switch to rsh:

(HP-UX): rsync -v --rsync-path=/usr/bin/rsync --rsh=/usr/bin/rsh foo opus:/tmp/foo
/usr/bin/rsh: opus: not found.
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [sender]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(420)

but, /usr/bin/rsh and /usr/bin/rsync are indeed present and runnable by me on
opus (the Linux box).

If I change "/usr/bin/rsh" in the above to a bad name, like "/usr/bin/ZZZ",
I get: sync: Failed to exec /usr/bin/ZZZ: No such file or directory (2)
so I know that's the apparently right syntax

thanks,

--
Stan Sieler
work: www.allegro.com